How To Differentiate Kasumi From Honyaki Blades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think therein lies the problem, because on some cladded knives, the line that differentiates the soft and hard steel almost looks like a hamon line of a monosteel, to my untrained eye anyway.

Positioning and price would be a go to factor honyaki blades are very expensive $500 usd+ normally closer to a k . A hamon is normally half way up the blade or higher and san mai(kasumi as you reffered) much lower. They also generally don't cost as much.

Definitely aware of the higher price! Reason I ask is if I purchase a vintage blade for example, unknown maker, that is pertinent information to have. The bit about the hamon being half way up the blade is very helpful.

I think therein lies the problem, because on some cladded knives, the line that differentiates the soft and hard steel almost looks like a hamon line of a monosteel, to my untrained eye anyway.

On kitchen knives, the lamination line (where the core steel meets the soft cladding) of kasumi knives is close to the edge, unless the blade has been drastically thinned, when it may be closer to the middle of the blade; the hamon line of honyaki knives is always close to the spine, never close to the edge.

and there are monosteel knives call themselves "honyaki"

Lamination line is closer to the edge, hamon is closer to the spine.

Back