How would you "quantify" the actual difference between ~60 vs ~62 HRC?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutting food, cant tell, Maybe edge degradation.

On the stones is where the difference shows up for me.

I notice a Very large difference between my Muteki (60-61) and Teruyasu (64-65) white 1 blades.
A difference that i don't notice with my various SG2 knives.

"HRC is matrix hardness, not actual edge hardness."

Sure? I thought the "vanadium carbide in soft toffee" method was what gave most european stainless any respectable HRC at all?

yes, the HR tester just puts a dent into the matrix, so its not the test of the hardest element of the matrix or the edge of the knife, but rather its the hardness defined as resistance to displacement (dent/deformation) by the testing apparatus.

Meanwhile, almost all high-alloy carbides, when isolated, are harder than the typical Honyaki steel (65) see, eg

• HARDENED STEEL • 60/65 HRC
• CHROMIUM CARBIDES • 66/68 HRC
• MOLYBDENUM CARBIDES • 72/77 HRC
• TUNGSTEN CARBIDES • 72/77 HRC
• VANADIUM CARBIDES • 82/84 HRC

and there you have your vanadium carbide at 82-84 HRC,
which still may be on a 57-58 HRC knife-edge.

the purpose of the soft matrix/hard carbide concoction
of course is to avoid the brittle fracture problem.

but it can be done in more or less sophisticated renditions.

What would an indenter do if used on a block of margarine that has unsoaked dried peas or rock sugar in it... intuitively, yes you'd get a slight change, but not that much...

What would an indenter do if used on a block of margarine that has unsoaked dried peas or rock sugar in it... intuitively, yes you'd get a slight change, but not that much...

Now switch out your peas for ball bearings and re-do the test.
Margarine at room temperature certainly won't estimate the hardness of ball-bearing-steel.

Frozen margine matrix highly packed with very small bearings, of course
would also look very different to room temperature with scant amounts of bearings.

Yeah, it seems the hardness of anything *that does not interlock or bunch up* would be inconsequential once the particle is hard enough to push margarine without getting deformed.

Hey Inferno, do you suffer from tourette syndrome in it's textutal form? Because if so, I guess it's a legitimate medical disability, and I am perfectly willing to accept it. Short of that, it sounds like you feel it is necessary to use nasty language in order to make a point. Do you think it gets your point across better? Im not judging or anything.... everyone has their own style I guess. Just so you know - you lost me way back at that ass sucking part at the top.
:blahblah:

I have only the drunk tourettes syndrome.

its a medical shizzle no sdhit, happens everyu time.

other than that, its how it works.

[video=youtube;HInA9jKyoKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HInA9jKyoKE[/video]

Back