I have a King KDS 1000/6000

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromo33333

Reaction score
... would it make sense to get a coarser stone, and if so, which one?

(I want to be able to reset bevels if need be).

I'm still a beginner, but I am learning!

i think you can probably still reset bevel on a 1000 but maybe not the king. Anyhow, the Watanabe AI, JNS, JKI lower grits are all well reviewed here. just be mindful when you use a coarse stone though.

Sure, <1000 grit stones are so helpful for quickly doing anything to knives which aren't thin behind the edge or carbon
'which one' is really general and ideally works better with some input from you - price, dish resistance, feedback, speed, soak vs splash and go, etc.

Sure, <1000 grit stones are so helpful for quickly doing anything to knives which aren't thin behind the edge or carbon
'which one' is really general and ideally works better with some input from you - price, dish resistance, feedback, speed, soak vs splash and go, etc.

I don't mind the King KDS stone - seems to be OK: Soak for awhile and then splash water on it every so often.

I'd like to keep it under $75 if I can (I have no idea if this is even reasonable!)

I am enough of a beginner I can't really have an informed opinion yet on the rest of it.

I'd still say, Naniwa Pro/Chosera 400 - not a beginner stone, but exactly because you don't NEED it yet you have time to learn it. And the complete opposite to the king (quickly set up with no ages-long soak. pressure matters a lot. It can and will clog even if it looks clean.)

I thinned a knife on the 1000 side of a King 1000/6000 once... and that very same week I bought a King 400 stone, LOL. Other people are better qualified to offer suggestions, I just got the King 400 because it was economical.

Back