I wanna buy a custom

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucmd

Reaction score
Ok, long time knife nut and I already own great knives (Devin, hattori kd, ingoglia, shig, takeda) but it is time to buy a new 270 gyuto. I wanted a catcheside or Marko tsourkan but can seem to get a reply or not taking custom orders.

can you please refer me to custom knife makers who are taking orders that can be completed in 6 months or less. Contact info and pics appreciated. Thanks

If you’re interested in a Tsourkan, it might be worth trying him again. He’s just back to work and likely got swamped with requests right away. His work is impeccable.

If you’re interested in a Tsourkan, it might be worth trying him again. He’s just back to work and likely got swamped with requests right away. His work is impeccable.
I definitely second this. @MontezumaBoy encouraged me to try reaching out after being unsuccessful earlier and Marko was absolutely lovely to deal with once I got a hold of him. I have no idea whether or not he would do an outright custom but perhaps if you ask him if he's got anything like 270*x*y coming down the pipe he will hook you up. I am waiting for my knife to arrive but so far all the convos/updates etc from Marko have been lovely.

I definitely second this. @MontezumaBoy encouraged me to try reaching out after being unsuccessful earlier and Marko was absolutely lovely to deal with once I got a hold of him. I have no idea whether or not he would do an outright custom but perhaps if you ask him if he's got anything like 270*x*y coming down the pipe he will hook you up. I am waiting for my knife to arrive but so far all the convos/updates etc from Marko have been lovely.
in case you didn't get it...lovely
lol

I've gotten a custom from Tilman Leder. He's lovely to deal with and his wait time may not be so long. I had a great experience, communication was really good, he used some handle materials I sent him and let me select some buffalo horn from his stash, and the knife is awesome. Couldn't recommend it more. [email protected]

I also had a lovely experience with Bloodroot though their list is loooong now.

I got a custom from Marko back in the day. It did not take 6 months.

Anyone know of great knife makers in Boulder Colorado area? Kinda rando but here on businesss.

Taylor Egerton ( @The Edge ) just made some customs for me and some others on the forums here. He's great to deal with and I love the blade I got out of it. I don't know what his lead time is, but he's generally extremely responsive.
I'd also vouch highly for Taylor @The Edge . He was very easy to communicate with and does high quality work. I recently received a custom from him, which I'll post a review for after a bit more use.

Catcheside definitely doesn't do custom orders any more. I don't think he's even taking orders for his Forged Geometry line, he just makes what he wants and sells it on Instagram/his website when it's ready.

My Kamon took just over six months from being ordered, but you'd have to sign up to his newsletter and message him as soon as he makes some custom slots available, and I don't know how long that would be. But the knife I have from him is really special.

Kip does customs right?

You’re really spoilt for choices regarding custom knive maker’s. I’ll refrain from making recommendations yet, since you’re parameters are a bit vague. Questions for you:
• What’s your budget?
• What characteristics, type of knife are you seeking?
• Have you done your homework? I.e., researched custom makers, contacted them?
• Describe your ideal knife. Steel, profile, handle, etc.
• What do you cook? Prepping tasks.
• Does country of origin matter to you? US, Japan, France, etc.
• What’s your objective—great all around performer, specialized knife, collectible kitchen bling?
• Why do you want a custom, as opposed to an off the shelf knife? Honest question.

Last edited:
could people comment from recent experience whether mr kippington now has extended wait-times or wait-lists, assuming he's still taking orders?

I’ll also recommend HSCIII, easy to deal with and responsive, recent wait for me was a couple months.
Tsourkan is very recently back after a long hiatus, so there’s at least a chance. Not sure how he is managing new work now.
Shihan doesn’t have 270s in his regular offerings but I had a customized order in January that turned out very well and I’d certainly recommend him to work with. I think there’s a good chance he could make a 270 to your preferences.
I’m currently working with Tony LaSeur. Knife is not finished yet but he’s been great to work with and part of the reason I chose him is because he’ll produce a wide range of knives.

I just received a custom 300mm sujihiki from isasmedjan. I went through Anthony at Knifeline because Jonas has closed books if you try to contact him directly. Took about 3 months and I am ecstatic with the result. Overall great experience. If you go to Jonas’s website then you can check out his work if you’re interested.

Back