I want a yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe1828

Reaction score
I don't need one. I want one . I am sure some of you can relate to this :scared4:

Now that I got that out of the way, what are your thoughts for my first yanagiba? I am a lefty, choices are somewhat narrowed due to 50% lefty tax.. prefer $350 or thereabouts or less . Used in a home cook environment .

I narrowed down to three which are available in stock :

1 A frames tesshu blue #1 270mm by Kenichi Shiraki
2 Masamoto KK white #2 270mm
3 Korin shiro ko Kasumi white #2 270mm
( made by Suisin and cheapest option of these)

I considered Gesshin uraku but it is out of stock .

What are your thoughts from these choices? Are there better options at this price range or lower cost alternatives?

Please don't recommend a suji :)

Thanks in advance..

I'd get in touch with Jon about an Uraku restock. I haven't delved into the world of single bevels but I know a wonky grind can cause real trouble in sharpening and use. Jon's qc and willingness to do an initial sharpening would put the Uraku at the top of my list, especially with the lefty consideration

From the knives you cited I like the Suisin from Korin. Would also check on availability of Uraku. Doesn't look like there's a bad choice in there.

I would do Masamoto out of the three but you are on the right track IMHO.

Just curious as to what length of blade you settled on for your home use yanagiba? I have a 270 and find it a tad long for home use.

Also make sure you have a fine enough stone to do uraoshi without taking off much steel and a coarse enough stone to move the shinogi line up as you use/sharpen the knife over time. Using/sharpening my yanagiba has taught me immensely about single bevel knives. I opted to "open it" up myself and found it to an incredibly educating experience.

StonedEdge "...which left you with a 1/10th of your urasuki and a battle scarred shinogi but with a knife that works great"?

Haven't decided on which one. If I go with JKI or Masamoto, I think fit and finish would be more or less guaranteed ..but there is allure with Tesshu due to Kenichi Shiraki's reputation with blue steel.. but on the other hand, for sashimi white steel might be sharper and easier to sharpen, edge retention should not be an issue if the knife is used for its intended purpose? hard to choose... I looked at Korin's knife one more time, and it's white steel but not white #2 so I suspect it could be white #3 which may explain why it is cheaper than the other options .

As for length, I now have a 240 Suisin IH which I have used to slice sashimi at home, it was barely long enough .. so I think 270 is a good fit for my home use for yanagiba.

As for stones, I have a Ohira Suita Renge from AFrames Tokyo- perfect for single bevels and kasumi :). I am already practicing uraoshi on an inexpensive deba.. fingers crossed ...

I like the Tesshu option from Aframe. I have a Blue #1 Suminagashi Yanagiba, very happy with the performance and f&f.

StonedEdge "...which left you with a 1/10th of your urasuki and a battle scarred shinogi but with a knife that works great"?

Haha not quite. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to use/maintain a yanagiba. Going through the motions for the first time is definitely a bit of a learning experience but I'm confident in saying anyone who's a decent freehand sharpener and patient individual will have no issue keeping a lazer straight shinogi and not ruining the ura. To me, the main reason to purchase one of these knives in the sub-300$ range is to become comfortable with putting one to the stones.

@StonedEdge I went "straight for an usuba" without single bevel experience once, so not even ashamed of it being pretty close to that :)

Back