Identify this carter?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually really into his sfgz line suddenly.
The sfgz RH line however is a bit odd to me. I'd say it's now my only anti-Carter inducing line.

I'm actually really into his sfgz line suddenly.
The sfgz RH line however is a bit odd to me. I'd say it's now my only anti-Carter inducing line.

I'll agree with this. The riveted handle line is just a weird looking line to me. But he must sell them pretty well, he's made a lot of them recently.

I'd buy this guy if I had the means: http://www.cartercutlery.com/japane...grade-nakiri-ho-woodblond-buffalo-horn-handle

103_6015.JPG

I mean, come on. A stainless clad white steel nakiri, 180mm, with a nicer handle (exactly what I'd expect from say Shigefusa, Mizuno, Masamoto, Konosuke, etc.) for $360, by a Japanese trained ABS mastersmith. Honestly I think Carter would be much more appreciated and loved in the knifenut community if it wasn't for his political/religious views. There's not another mastersmith in the world that I know of where you could go and buy a knife like this today on a whim, particularly at this pricepoint. Hell, even the Devin Thomas ITK nakiri - which isn't available and is midtech - has an estimated pricepoint of only $60 less. Not saying the ITK would be a worse knife, but it certainly wouldn't have the pedigree this knife has. If this was Shigefusa or Heiji people would be falling all over themselves to buy this knife ASAP at this price, even if it is a nakiri.

Good point, Joe. People almost seem to forget that Murray is a MS. Compared to other makers, his IP line is actually probably among the best value for your money. I've been wanting a 210ish SFGZ funayuki for a long time now but they never seem to be available.

Oivind, that knife would be friggin perfect for the gf.

Good point, Joe. People almost seem to forget that Murray is a MS. Compared to other makers, his IP line is actually probably among the best value for your money. I've been wanting a 210ish SFGZ funayuki for a long time now but they never seem to be available.

Oivind, that knife would be friggin perfect for the gf.

Rather than hope he'll make one that you want, put a custom order in. The prices are the same, and the wait is less than Bob Kramer but longer than Pierre Rodrigue (about a year). I've noticed that most of the knives he makes are less than 6.5 sun (~200mm) so if you want one around 210, your best bet is to order one. It's too bad that the upgraded handle option is no longer available on the SFGZ series.

Order form: http://www.cartercutlery.com/contact/custom-knife-order
Price guide: http://www.cartercutlery.com/price_guide_2011.doc

An upgrade handle option is always available in other places, fortunately!

It's an ice cream sandwich!
What do I win?

Ok, I think I'm giving in. Does anyone know the Carter Cutlery coupon code?
Pm if you do :)
Thanks guys

Sorry, guys. Blog will be updated tomorrow. :( To many other distractions got in the way....

DarKHOeK

Am I reading this right? Carter charges 346 plus the per inch price for a damascus blade?

Rather than hope he'll make one that you want, put a custom order in. The prices are the same, and the wait is less than Bob Kramer but longer than Pierre Rodrigue (about a year). I've noticed that most of the knives he makes are less than 6.5 sun (~200mm) so if you want one around 210, your best bet is to order one. It's too bad that the upgraded handle option is no longer available on the SFGZ series.

Order form: http://www.cartercutlery.com/contact/custom-knife-order
Price guide: http://www.cartercutlery.com/price_guide_2011.doc

One of my biggest regret is when I didn't take part on Carter's sale 3-4 years ago. It was to buy 2 knives and you got 1 free knife, at half of his pricing now :(.

bert i had a few issues with murray but i don't hold anything against his knives.....they r some of the best performing knives i have......i still have four damascus neck knives a big ivory knife and a big damascus one that i had rehandled......and two parers......tehy r great.......my only point was that his knives were poorly finished.....i have seen many many knives from all of his series.....they only thing i haven't seen was a damascus single bevelled knife.......and i have yet to say " wow that knife is finished well"......that's all....ryan

I read it as $346 per sun, or $290 an inch for an IP damascus knife.

That seems way out of line price wise since Kramer just started charging around that much last year. The old price was 150 per inch for damascus. To put it into perspective, DT charges around 15-35 dollars per inch for damascus billets.

One of my biggest regret is when I didn't take part on Carter's sale 3-4 years ago. It was to buy 2 knives and you got 1 free knife, at half of his pricing now :(.

4-5 years ago, you could get a Kramer for $500. The knife industry has changed.

Ok guys...I couldn't hold off.
I ordered the 5.2 sun SFGZ funayaki.
I'll let you know how I feel once I get it and have a real go around with it.
I'm a huge petty fan, and now I'll have this AND my custom from Pierre. Man will I be spoiled!!!

I never liked the look of the handle and blade finish for his SFGZ range (the one that I mistakenly received) from the photos.

So I ordered the IP range.

Pricing is hugely different... I guess you pay for what you want. I'll update with pictures when I receive the knife. I can't make out from that photo of the IP on this thread how his finishing could be taken as bad... I'll be able to tell better when I hold mine in hand. I expect a really good product.

As for his Damascus, it IS pretty expensive, but I guess I take comfort in that if I choose to order it, I'll see it in my mail within the year.

Been waiting to join the wait list of Bob's knives for 1.5 years. I'm not certain I'll get a knife from him in this lifetime without visiting the auctions. And I don't want to pay $1400/inch on the ebay auctions. Again, the price is the price. I wish I could still get a Kramer for $500, but wishing is different than reality.

I can't get over the sfgz rh handle, but the wa handle seems serviceable...and besides, if I don't like it, I can always contact my buddy Pierre for a rehandle...if he would do it.

I can't get over the sfgz rh handle, but the wa handle seems serviceable...and besides, if I don't like it, I can always contact my buddy Pierre for a rehandle...if he would do it.

One of Stefan's off-the-shelf handles, if he makes one small enough, would be a great match.

Hey now...I just dropped $161 bucks. I'll see if I like the stock handle first, then convince myself that I need an upgrade and spend more money afterwards! :p

Pen Tiger, I guess I could have played it smart and borrowed one of yours out first, but we both know I just would've bought it off you anyways!

Pen Tiger, I guess I could have played it smart and borrowed one of yours out first, but we both know I just would've bought it off you anyways!

No, you'd have missed all the anticipation of waiting for your very own knife. You did the right thing, and you're going to love the knife.

I just can't wait a year. I have anxiety about things like that. It would probably be more like a year and a half, too. This thread made my bust out my carter IPNB suji again. I friggin love this knife.
p2240177.jpg

p2240198.jpg

edit:
These pics are huge. Sorry.

Not to mention this one. Did I say that its 1.6mm thin?... Yeah, it is a laser. Ironwood handle.
pb300009.jpg

pb300011.jpg

pb300008.jpg

Man... I realy love this forum, and kitchen knives, and my carter damascus utility knife (yes i ordered a petty but its a utility knife in my book) is one of my favorite knives still. I need to get a kramer in my hand to compare with the rest tho I can imagine his knifes would feel great in my hand too

I think carters are just made to be used and abused every day... and they seem to put up with it.

The difference of opinions about the handles and the handle F&F on his lower end knives sounds like a perfect reason to try out all the various rehandling services :jumpy:

I prefer to look at it this way:
For those of us who are concerned about F&F, looks, blade polishing level, OOTB edge profiles etc, there is something in Carter's range for you.

For the ones that want a no frills knife made out of good materials, forged by the same mastersmith at a much lower price point... that exists too. Can't fault choice.

I prefer this than having to go to Henckles to buy a 'Kramer'. I still want my Kramer of course, and it'll never go on sale... but I despair that the day my name gets pulled out of the hat will never come...

Ok guys...I couldn't hold off.
I ordered the 5.2 sun SFGZ funayaki.
I'll let you know how I feel once I get it and have a real go around with it.
I'm a huge petty fan, and now I'll have this AND my custom from Pierre. Man will I be spoiled!!!

Nice

Im going to order one myself.
You should not stop with a custom from Pierre and a Carter. There are more makers out there ;)

Back