Ikea dutch ovens

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need a good general use pot and a Dutch oven would probably be my best bet. Unfortunately, being a broke college student limits my choices. Lodge isn't that cheap here in Europe, so unless anyone has a solid alternative chocie here in the Netherlands, I'm looking at the Ikea dutch ovens. Does anyone have any experience with those? I'd like any input I can get.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's time to hit the the thrift stores...
The vintage ones are miles better than the new stuff made in China... and probably cheaper.
Descoware (Dutch) made really durable enameled cast-iron ware. Vintage Copco (Danish) is hard to beat. Cousances (France), etc. etc...

Once you get it going, cast iron isnt hard to maintain, but i get what you mean.

Once you get it going, cast iron isnt hard to maintain, but i get what you mean.
Is there anyway to get around stripping the cast iron with acidic/tomato based foods/sauces? That's sadly the main downside I see in cast iron dutch ovens.

Is there anyway to get around stripping the cast iron with acidic/tomato based foods/sauces? That's sadly the main downside I see in cast iron dutch ovens.

I've honestly never had that problem with cast iron.

But in any case I've confused myself because apparently a Dutch oven means something different in US English than it does in UK English. Duh.

I don't have the time to take care of it properly, enameled is a lot easier to deal with, but this does look pretty good
Is the IKEA one enameled on the inside as well? I gave mine away that was not enameled inside because of the maitainence it needed and got one enameled inside. Easy cleanup and no performance difference.

Is the IKEA one enameled on the inside as well? I gave mine away that was not enameled inside because of the maitainence it needed and got one enameled inside. Easy cleanup and no performance difference.
It's enameled inside and out. Matte black interior will be easier to keep looking good than the white interior of a Lodge or Le Creuset.
senior-casserole-with-lid-white__0244455_PE383725_S4.JPG

I'm weirded out some things from china and enamel/cast iron cookware is one of them.
stainless steel stuff, tramotina is pretty good for example, I don't have and issues with...

I own staub, le creuset, and lodge (and rank them in that order)... But the difference in price is going towards more form than function. Yes there are slight differences in durability and features (lid design, etc), but if we are being honest... The main difference is branding and style.

Buy the Ikea and don't look back.

I own enameled Lodge and Cuisinart DO's and a CI Lodge DO. I get some minor staining on the enameled interior but to me, it just shows that it's been loved.

I always seems to find some decent deals at Homegoods or Amazon.

I own enameled Lodge and Cuisinart DO's and a CI Lodge DO. I get some minor staining on the enameled interior but to me, it just shows that it's been loved.

I always seems to find some decent deals at Homegoods or Amazon.

Sorry, I just saw that you're in the Netherlands so Homegoods probably isn't an option.

You could always for Lidl to get the "ernesto" Enameled Cast iron back in stock. They usually comme arround every 6 ishh weeks here in our Lidl in Finland so can only assume it's roughly the same for you. Bought 1 for use mainly on the grill as did not want to subject my Staub 28 cm or LC 30cm to the grill "abuse" and for the 35-40€ it was I cannot complain at all. I also got the a cast enameled grill pan from them, one day the wife used it on our induction and set it to "boost" mode while it was empty, this made the enamel "craze", tons of little cracks on the outside, the inside is still fine however.

Latest posts

Back