In market for a Gyuto, need good edge retention

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would even go as far as saying that modern, hi-tech stainless steels (which often are made with PM process) will outperform on the edge holding side carbon steel we seen in kitchen knives. The reason for that is not with the carbon steels themselves, but because there is no comparable development of staining steels for knives as there is with stainless steels - at least in recent past decades. Still - edge holding of well heat treaded carbon steels is excellent and will last several months of home use. My super blue Masakage Koishi does.

What is this super blue steel? I only see Blue #1 and Blue#2 on sites. Is Super Blue same as Super Aogami?

What is this super blue steel? I only see Blue #1 and Blue#2 on sites. Is Super Blue same as Super Aogami?

Yes.

Aogami = blue paper - the colour of the label used at the Hitachi (Yasuki) steelworks iirc.

@Kumar,

I suggest that you start out with a much cheaper Japanese knife first before investing in a 300-400$ knife, since you said that you don't sharpen your own knives. Might as well buy a cheap set of waterstones together, this I recommend Metalmaster from eBay. Please, don't rely on your local 'sharpening shops', they are knife-destroyers, looked down upon by any knifenuts.

Because I get the picture that you want a knife with the best edge retention so that you don't have to send it to sharpeners that often.

I would even go as far as saying that modern, hi-tech stainless steels (which often are made with PM process) will outperform on the edge holding side carbon steel we seen in kitchen knives. The reason for that is not with the carbon steels themselves, but because there is no comparable development of staining steels for knives as there is with stainless steels - at least in recent past decades. Still - edge holding of well heat treaded carbon steels is excellent and will last several months of home use. My super blue Masakage Koishi does.
I agree with your very good explanation.

+1 Masakage Koishi. Even my Masakage Yuki holds an edge far better than white #2 should. A great value and damn near a steal when you can find them on sale. I'm fighting temptation right now.

Definitely the Geshin Kagero over the Akifusa, better grind and FF.

Rick

+1 Masakage Koishi. Even my Masakage Yuki holds an edge far better than white #2 should. A great value and damn near a steal when you can find them on sale. I'm fighting temptation right now.

May be good for white 2, but the op specifically needs good edge retention--not in relation to other white 2 but other steels/knives...

How does the edge retention of Tanaka R2 compare with that of most blades in VG10, e.g.Tojiro or others? Is edge stability good, or does the blade chip out when cutting on a wooden board?
How hard is the R2 to sharpen? This may be heretical, but I often wind up using a 1X30" belt sander for a dull edge, especially if it is in a stainless that is hard to sharpen, like S35V. Then I go to stones. If I am careful, I can get by for a long time just with a strop.

Even though I had Tanaka in R2 and have Tojiro DP in VG-10 now I can not give you much info how they directly compare when it comes to edge stability. The Tanaka was laser gyuto and the Tojiro is a santoku (not that thin one). The VG-10 from Tojiro is OK to sharpen and to deburr (Shun Classic VG-10 is/was worse in that regard IMO). The Tanaka was very easy to sharpen - very comparable to carbon steel, IMO. I did not have problems to deburr it either, even though I was just starting with sharpening at that time.

No experience with S35V (one sees it mostly in outdoor or 'tactical' knives which have much different geometry), but that should be one tough steel.

Masakage Koishi line looks good.

Now just to find a site that delivers to either UK or India.

Another vote for Tanaka...Get a cheapo carbon Tanaka, sharpen and polish the edge. They are great inexpensive knives.

I have not read the whole thread, so please forgive me if this has been discussed, but what about Watanabe? I have not tried a Gyuto, but his Nakiri is great, sharp, and made from blue 2 that will hold an edge for some time. His prices are reasonable and delivery is swift.

If edge retention is the priority then how about something made from Hap40 steel, like a Gihei which also has a wa handle?

Back