Indoor smoker wisdom!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
arden-in-home-smoker-lead-1648649905.jpg
I figured given how many fun toys the community has, someone has had the opportunity to use one of these bad boys. Thinking of what was originally on kickstarter as the Arden, now the GE profile smart indoor smoker.

It’s been in development for a year or two by these YouTubers for a few years. The idea behind it for anyone who’s going “*** is gonna smoke in their house” like I was 4 days ago, is that it uses pellets for smoke flavor and heating elements for temp. So it uses fewer pellets than normal smoking operations. The entire unit is sealed, and it has some form of catalyst system that they claim filters out, but I see no mention of changing a filter ever so I assume it’s essentially reacting with the smoke to break it down further since they’re claiming all that comes out of the unit during operation is CO2 and water vapor.

Bordering pulling the trigger on one now, curious what people’s experiences have been. Read that it can be a touch drier due to the heating element cooking instead of entirely by smoke like with an actual smoker, and that the smoke on anything but the max may not be adequate but good things about the max setting.

It’s a beefy unit, was planning on keeping it on the counter during use then storing it in the indoor storage area with the actual grill between uses. Seems like it could be a game changer for smoking for those of us without easy outdoor access.

There is an indoor coffee roaster too (talk about crazy expensive)...let's say I'm not a believer....I tested a new roast level I dubbed 'black hole' that produced enough smoke to nearly bring the firebrigade around.

From using the tiny 'smoking gun' I own to add a hint of smoky flavor to dishes it seems unlikely to me that it's feasible to capture all smoke unless it comes with a high penalty of buying new filters very often.

Our range hood has a plasma filter, that states doing something similar as advertized here...I would want a no strings attached in house demo period of like 3 months before considering such a unit.

There is an indoor coffee roaster too (talk about crazy expensive)...let's say I'm not a believer....I tested a new roast level I dubbed 'black hole' that produced enough smoke to nearly bring the firebrigade around.

From using the tiny 'smoking gun' I own to add a hint of smoky flavor to dishes it seems unlikely to me that it's feasible to capture all smoke unless it comes with a high penalty of buying new filters very often.

Our range hood has a plasma filter, that states doing something similar as advertized here...I would want a no strings attached in house demo period of like 3 months before considering such a unit.
Yeah the smoke concerns are definitely an issue for me. From other forums and Reddit people seem to report that it leaves your house smelling like smoked food that dissipates in a day or so, similar to how cooking Indian food leaves your home smelling like spices for a day or so.

Haven’t run into any reports of it setting off fire alarms, so it seems the system does a pretty good job of what it’s supposed to do. There was one guy who had smoke coming out of the actual firebox, but that was either a faulty unit or an overfilled box so seems to be an outlier

Smoke levels are reported to be on the level of a pellet smoker, so no Texas pit here but given my alternative is carrying a smoker up and down a set of fire escape stairs to use it, it’s still seeming like a tempting option. Used the nomad grill for smoking a few times, and that works fine in warm weather. Babying a smoker when it’s freezing and you have to lug it outside tends to be my deal breaker though. Definitely won’t be living on the counter, it’s a huge unit. Supposed to be able to fit an entire brisket if you halve it due to the length issue

Yeah the smoke concerns are definitely an issue for me. From other forums and Reddit people seem to report that it leaves your house smelling like smoked food that dissipates in a day or so, similar to how cooking Indian food leaves your home smelling like spices for a day or so.

Haven’t run into any reports of it setting off fire alarms, so it seems the system does a pretty good job of what it’s supposed to do. There was one guy who had smoke coming out of the actual firebox, but that was either a faulty unit or an overfilled box so seems to be an outlier

Smoke levels are reported to be on the level of a pellet smoker, so no Texas pit here but given my alternative is carrying a smoker up and down a set of fire escape stairs to use it, it’s still seeming like a tempting option. Used the nomad grill for smoking a few times, and that works fine in warm weather. Babying a smoker when it’s freezing and you have to lug it outside tends to be my deal breaker though. Definitely won’t be living on the counter, it’s a huge unit. Supposed to be able to fit an entire brisket if you halve it due to the length issue

I have used the commercial ventless alto-shaam versions that run off of wood chips extensively. They work great without leaking much smoke except for when you open them to load/unload. But even with commercial exhaust, everyone who worked in or near the kitchen when it was running went home smelling like campfire. But then again, my whole house already smells like campfire when I use my outdoor smoker just from what leaks in going in and out of the house.

Ahh that’s excellent advice! I imagine even if this unit doesn’t emit any smoke in operation, once you open it it’d probably be unavoidable like the altoshaams you’ve worked with. I personally like smelling like a campfire, and yeah even smoking outside brings the smell inside, if not the actual smoke then the food carries it inside when you’re done.

I doubt my landlord would take to it, so I’ll probably hold off on one of these until he decides to increase the rent. 😂

Back