Its about the feels. Edge and blade surface.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I first got into J knives and sharpening, I headed to White No1 and very high grit finishes, sometimes created with lapping film over 50K. These edges would cut with barely any cut feel, only the feel of the drag of the blade. It was kind of cool to see knives drop through things with only their own weight and no back and forth movement.

Over time this changed to a preference for steels like AS, Blue No2 and 52100 with grits drooping to 16K, then 8K, then 6K, 4K, 2K, and finally settling out at 3K to 4K. I'm pretty grass is greener so I'm always trying things, hybrid edges, new stones etc, but at the end of the day, I keep coming back to the 3K 4K range.

Have any of you guys had similar experiences? Where you ended up dropping down in finish levels?

For me it was about cut feel. Much below 2K and it feels like a saw. As I go above 4K the tactile feel keep reducing to a point where there is no noticeable cut feel and the feel becomes dominated by the blade finish. I'm definitely finding 3K to 4K to be the sweet spot. There is also the aspect of mouth feel of things cut with different grits as well, and in that, I tend to prefer a little higher, in the 6K to 8K range, but 3K is still pretty nice so.....

Then there is the blade finish and feel.
For me 600 to 800 Rhynowet is where its at. I know that's not very Japanese and not very Kasumi but its feels lively in the cut and sexy af in finger feel. Kind of warm, soft and creamy. Really plays well with the feel of the 3K 4K edge.

Speaking of Kasumi. Done well, it looks pretty cool but I'm not a fan of how it feels. To use an audio term, it feels like how I would imagine white noise to feel. Between that and its feel in the cut, draggy below 3K, bland after, and I just don't find it adds in a positive way to the cutting experience. Looks on some knives? Definitely. Feel, nope.

What's your preferences?

Then of course there is blade geometry, steels, cladding vs mono, cladding materials, balance, weight, but that's for another day :)

I'm with you on finishing edges ~3-4k for double bevel knives. I'll go higher on single bevel knives but almost always finish DB knives on my aizu. I'm partial to high grit kasumi finishes but 600-800 sandpaper finish is pretty much the same as a vertical hairline finish right? Works well as stock Kato finish!

we have these threads from time to time and I largely always have the same answer; my favorite edges come off ohira shiro suitas.

boring, passe, etc? ok maybe, but there's a reason those stones are so highly sought after.

I am a big believer in "if it feels right, it probably is right" though.

I tend to finish at or around 3k too, at least for synthetics.

The other things I regularly finish on are Turkish and Washita, which are going to be up around 7k, but don't seem as 'polished' as synthetic equivalents ime. Not quite sure why that is, but I suspect has something to do with speed... These two stones are exceptions that prove the rule about synthetics being quicker/better/easier than naturals; at the top end of their range they would smoke any synthetic of equivalent grit I imagine. Turkish stones in particular are astonishingly fast. Don't know if and how that works into it, but it feels like it does to me!

Great thread I have been sharpening other's knives for over 35 years. I really enjoy reading these threads. Lot's of knowledgeable people with good information. I have also journeyed thru the higher grit stones 8k 10k 15k 20k lapping film thru the years. Today my work horses are Chosera 800 grit and a King Hyper 1000grit and maybe a Diamond 3000grit. Of course there are many dynamics but If your fundamentals are solid and you know your edge, your blade should be almost as sharp as it is going to be. Maybe a few light strops careful not to roll or foil the egde . A lot of times further progression is unproductive. Just my opinion

Back