Ivory Handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry, I believe you are right. If you are trying to import ivory from another country to the states, highly suggest you check regulations. I do not believe that they are allowing ANY importing of ivory at the moment.

Should of read the initial post a little better. Earlier post was on "in" country shipping.

ya i think you must prove its pre-ban ivory or else the federal government considers it illegal.

son would probably know more about all this. not an attempt to encourage you but i'd think because its a knife you would be fine buying and receiving your knife but re-sale might be tough or a problem.

laws are changin all the time. some states " california is even trying to ban the sale of fossilized ivory because those pesky mammoths are endangered. just call fish and game and they will be able to tell you whats what.

He also does narwhal ivory handles---definitely illegal in the U.S.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I gather the answer to my question is ..Yes it is illegal to purchase, own, sell, and/or import into USA. :curse:

Ivory is a nice material, but when you look at the "costs" to the animal population, it doesn't make sense, particularly with such a wide range of alternatives that abound. It disgusts me that such magnificent animals are killed to have tusks removed. Even if the ivory is pre-ban and totally legal, I wouldn't want to own something that seems to in any way encourage the poaching that unfortunately continues today. I realize there is a clear distinction, but I suspect that's lost on a lot of people.

Back