• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

J-Nats Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tg, I know I already have 2 of these from you, but where would you place the umegehata suita in range of stones? Or would it be redundant with the other 2 I picked up?

I just picked up an Umegehata suita from Badgertooth and it is definately very different from any other stone I've used.

I just picked up an Umegehata suita from Badgertooth and it is definately very different from any other stone I've used.

Excited to hear some feedback when you've had a chance to bed in with it.

tg, I know I already have 2 of these from you, but where would you place the umegehata suita in range of stones? Or would it be redundant with the other 2 I picked up?

Sent you a PM Lazarus.

As far as I understand it, Umegehata is the name of a valley in Kyoto which holds many of the famous mines like nakayama, ohira, shinden , okudo, and more. So the label is only slightly better than saying its origin is unknown. Thus the suita Otto sold and the one I'm selling may be from completely different mines.

I was gonna chime in that there is HUGE caveat. Umegehata sort of like saying Rhône, to typify wine. Where shou Honyama is more like saying Hermitage which designates one little hill where it comes from. Nakayama is your Chapoutier. Shoboudani is your Jaboulet.

Car-crash of an analogy but it sort of works.

Now I want the stone, but I'm trying to scrape some ducats together for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back