Japanese Brand Cheat Sheet?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As TK mentioned, there's a lot of variability - sometimes simply due to the handmade nature of the items, sometimes due to the its-how-I-feel-today nature of some makers (Shosui Takeda and Murray Carter come to mind), and sometimes it's because the makers intentionally vary the product to suit changing customer preferences.

I think we *can* make really broad generalizations - and I mean really, really broad - but they are going to be so broad in many cases and with a number of caveats and exceptions, that what we'd end up with won't really be useful for someone new to the whole thing.

Actually this isn't that hard other than an enormous amount of work. One could make a database or pages of lists listing all the makers by type, steel, simple profile, handle etc. Example, a list of all the manufactures with a wa handles carbon steel gyuto. It could be done. JKI and Korin already have basic searches for knife use/style. That's half of what OCD is looking for. The other half, a ranking or evaluation is too subjective as everyone has pointed out.

-AJ

Ah, I already do something like that for myself :) Yeah, I use a spreadsheet to track my knife collection and pivot table it to show what I've got with what profiles, what steels, mono/honyaki or clad, etc etc :)

Does having to use a spreadsheet to track my knives indicate something?? .... NAH! :)

This thread is why a lot of us recommend buying a well-regarded 'starter' knife in the sub-$200 range that you can learn to sharpen and find out all the characteristics you like/don't like in it, and then make your next decision based off your new knowledge...this is a repetitive process from knife to knife.

...I use a spreadsheet to track my knife collection and pivot table it to show what I've got with what profiles, what steels, mono/honyaki or clad, etc etc :)...
You have a serious problem, dude.

Well... It definitely indicates some serious dedication to your addiction.:knife:

Ah, I already do something like that for myself :) Yeah, I use a spreadsheet to track my knife collection and pivot table it to show what I've got with what profiles, what steels, mono/honyaki or clad, etc etc :)

Does having to use a spreadsheet to track my knives indicate something?? .... NAH! :)

Nah, there's no shortcut unfortunately. Some things, like typical profile or geometry characteristics, can be noted down easily. The tricky part - and really, the valuable part - is how they feel and perform and that can be a very subjective thing. What works great for one person may not be so hot for another.

It's one thing to create a cheat-sheet but it's a whole other thing to create one that everyone can rally around and support :) Take heart though - it's the subjectivity and personal preferences that keep knives a fun topic of discussion :)

Not to mention the artistry and the one-off'dness of many of the knives. I think that is why so many of the members have multiple knives and buy and sell on a regular basis.
In addition, I think style wise many of us like and appreciate different types of knives for different purposes.
My viewpoint is that it I am constantly learning and gaining more appreciation for knives and thanks to the great members on this site for assisting with this.

As long as we are all being honest, I do this too! At least, I did in the beginning. When I first got started researching knives, I would add those knives that appealed to me (or seemed to strongly appeal to others from reviews or endorsements from seemingly knowledgeable forum members) to a spreadsheet. I included the make, maker, steel, handle type, price, and retailer/s. It was a "wishlist" of sorts. I decided a wanted a good parer, petty, gyuto (210, 240, 270), bread knife, etc. Once I got familiar enough with makes and makers (and where to procure them), I abandoned my spreadsheet and just started collecting. ;)

I still think that at the start when you're looking at knives, there are some that sorta jump out at you more than others. You could be recommended a few knives that are better than a particular one, but it just looks right for you and you get it

Once I got familiar enough with makes and makers (and where to procure them), I abandoned my spreadsheet and just started collecting. ;)

I started when I had enough knives that when friends asked me how many knives I had, I had to sit down for a few minutes to count them in my head :) I only catalog the knives that I personally have. I don't update it much now though - my big buying spurts are behind me. It's more a novelty now than anything else, but it's interesting to see the summed up results to see how things come out in terms of types, styles, steels, etc.

As I was reading the thread, this is how I first read your post. I had to stop and read it again.

The fact that I use Excel to track my wives, knives, and other things... quite possibly ;)

I use a spreadsheet to track my knife collection and pivot table it to show what I've got with what profiles, what steels, mono/honyaki or clad, etc etc :)

I've got that manic-OCD-ADD-perfectionist side too, and it makes perfect sense to me why you would do that. I've got just enough sense to stop myself from doing that though.:razz:

I only catalog the knives that I personally have.

I have a mild form of obsessive compulsive disorder (self-diagnosed) and as a result, I tend to catalog everything. Books are a far bigger problem for me than knives, and those are all cataloged in a third-party online database. Spreadsheets are fun though. I can see the allure for the OP of having one. I just read through forum archives making notes until I decided what I wanted. And what I thought I wanted in the beginning is not what I want today or what I ended up with.

I can see the allure for the OP of having one. I just read through forum archives making notes until I decided what I wanted. And what I thought I wanted in the beginning is not what I want today or what I ended up with.

Slowtyper, I'd have some serious headaches going on if it was wives, knives, etc ;)

Johnny, books ... man, I've bought duplicates of books because I don't actually know what I've got. I get 'em from local used bookstores, but still, it's a waste and a bit of a letdown to come back and find that crapola, I've already got that book! :)

For the OP, yeah, it can make sense to put things down on paper or a spreadsheet to get your thoughts all organized. There really is a lot to take in. The best way for your brain to really make sense of it all though is to actually get your hands on something and try it out. Test-drive at a good store if you can, borrow if you can, and buy if you must. You might be surprised by where you end up... or to find out that what you started off with suits you very well after all!

Johnny, books ... man, I've bought duplicates of books because I don't actually know what I've got. I get 'em from local used bookstores, but still, it's a waste and a bit of a letdown to come back and find that crapola, I've already got that book!

I think we have a lot in common. ;) It was having this happen to me a handful of times a year that finally motivated me to catalog my collection and stop the madness. Check out this site: http://www.librarything.com. There are many sites like it, but this is inexpensive and awfully well done. Now, when I'm tempted by something interested in a used books store (a relatively common occurrence), I quickly check to see whether I have it (or something close by searching a keyword) before buying. I am trying to buy less and read more. The same will be true with knives after this year: buy less and spend more time learning to sharpen properly.

What a wealth of info. Holy Moly. I have SOOOoooo much reading to do!

Latest posts

Back