JNS Kaeru Workhorse - how does it compare?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiano

Reaction score
Been looking at the Kaeru workhorse (white steel). Fit and finish seem quite good, and I’ve read it has a convex grind. Just curious how it measures up to the other Kaerus, e.g. the stainless and the regular white? And anyone compared it to the Munetoshi KU? Thanks!

Been looking at the Kaeru workhorse (white steel). Fit and finish seem quite good, and I’ve read it has a convex grind. Just curious how it measures up to the other Kaerus, e.g. the stainless and the regular white? And anyone compared it to the Munetoshi KU? Thanks!

I have all of the knives you mentioned except Kaeru Standard white in 240mm.

Best fit and finish is Kaeru over Munetoshi. Most consistent grinds are the Kaeru. Best performance is actually going to go to the Kaeru stainless for my uses. You can’t go wrong with Kaeru.

Here is a side by side from left to right
Munetoshi, Kaeru Stainless, Kaeru WH

6B6A8DD6-D94D-45A3-820A-1FBDEF22B167.jpeg3338CCE3-E7DC-448D-A0F5-A17E1FCCE599.jpegECC18FC3-8EF1-4FF3-BFF9-00FE2146F003.jpeg89A68B9C-9853-4BB8-8DE7-02FE9D40FCB4.jpeg

for my uses.
Could you pls tell me a bit how you’re using them? That way I can see how that resembles my own uses. Thanks!

By the way nice upgraded handle on the Munetoshi! I should add that I have the Munetoshi 165 petty and use it all the time. Basically I’m looking for a larger knife with similar cutting and sharpening abilities. And before jumping on the logical choice, i.e. the Mune gyuto, I’d like to see how the Kaeru compares. Hopes that makes sense!

Could you pls tell me a bit how you’re using them? That way I can see how that resembles my own uses. Thanks!

By the way nice upgraded handle on the Munetoshi! I should add that I have the Munetoshi 165 petty and use it all the time. Basically I’m looking for a larger knife with similar cutting and sharpening abilities. And before jumping on the logical choice, i.e. the Mune gyuto, I’d like to see how the Kaeru compares. Hopes that makes sense!

It would be my pleasure to try to help. I have two sets of knives, one for home And one for work. The Kaeru and Munetoshi are amongst my home knives. I prepare potatoes, onions, garlic, shrimp, red meat, white meat, bell peppers, various herbs, mushrooms, carrots, celery all on an end grain Larchwood cutting board. I am missing many things in there but quite standard North American stuff. The Kaeru Stainless is the most Slicey it just glides through stuff, the workhorse is the most productive when mowing through a lot of ingredients and has better food release than the stainless, the added weight assists in guiding the knife through product. The Munetoshi is kind of in the middle but I have had issues with the grind on my example. It is pretty crude and has some recurve near the heel which I can’t tell if is on purpose or it was overground in that area. They are all fantastic knives but I would sooner see the Munetoshi go than either Kaeru. I find the Munetoshi lacks identity in the mix of so many other knives that excel in many tasks. Your mileage may vary of course and this is just my opinion.

Very helpful indeed, thanks a lot. Perhaps I've been very lucky with my Munetoshi - but then that fits into the whole manual craftsmanship storyline with Mune. May not be the most consistent. Will do some more thinking on the slicey versus workhorse for my own cooking.

It would be my pleasure to try to help. I have two sets of knives, one for home And one for work. The Kaeru and Munetoshi are amongst my home knives. I prepare potatoes, onions, garlic, shrimp, red meat, white meat, bell peppers, various herbs, mushrooms, carrots, celery all on an end grain Larchwood cutting board. I am missing many things in there but quite standard North American stuff. The Kaeru Stainless is the most Slicey it just glides through stuff, the workhorse is the most productive when mowing through a lot of ingredients and has better food release than the stainless, the added weight assists in guiding the knife through product. The Munetoshi is kind of in the middle but I have had issues with the grind on my example. It is pretty crude and has some recurve near the heel which I can’t tell if is on purpose or it was overground in that area. They are all fantastic knives but I would sooner see the Munetoshi go than either Kaeru. I find the Munetoshi lacks identity in the mix of so many other knives that excel in many tasks. Your mileage may vary of course and this is just my opinion.
Have you noticed any edge holding differences between WH and stainless? Very different steels, but just curious if noticeable in your use.

Have you noticed any edge holding differences between WH and stainless? Very different steels, but just curious if noticeable in your use.

To be fair I haven’t sharpened the WH yet and I have used it maybe 15-20 times for small meal preps. I have honed it a couple of times on black ceramic. The same goes for the Kaeru Stainless. I have not had to sharpen the OOTB edge only hone but it is my most used knife. They both seem to hold an edge well and thus far I am not able to make a call either way.

I have the Kaeru SLD and the Workhorse - completely agree with the assessment above. The SLD grind, fit, finish really impressed me for a knife of this price. It just glides through all food. Amazing cutter, even slightly better than the WH in my experience. But the WH weight and feel is fantastic and as mentioned probably better for more heavy duty tasks. But still a delight to use

WH Does patina very quickly, so it’s a knife you need to take care of - cannot leave it wet for too long without a wipe-down - iron clad

Both knives are gorgeous to look at and really well made

I have the Kaeru SLD and the Workhorse - completely agree with the assessment above. The SLD grind, fit, finish really impressed me for a knife of this price. It just glides through all food. Amazing cutter, even slightly better than the WH in my experience. But the WH weight and feel is fantastic and as mentioned probably better for more heavy duty tasks. But still a delight to use

WH Does patina very quickly, so it’s a knife you need to take care of - cannot leave it wet for too long without a wipe-down - iron clad

Both knives are gorgeous to look at and really well made

Curious...If you could only keep one which would it be? I bet it’s the same answer as me ;)

Thanks for the detail. Quite an unexpected turn of events.. How is the food release on the SLD, and does it have a taper?

Thanks for the detail. Quite an unexpected turn of events.. How is the food release on the SLD, and does it have a taper?

Food release is above average for something that is this slicey. It does have a distal taper. The tip is very thin, the spine is quite beefy and unfortunately the only downside I see to this knife is that the spine and choil could have used some more easing.

I just ordered maybe the last Kaeru WH from JNS last night, at least it was out of stock after I processed my order. I have another one in White 2, I'll be able to share my opinion as well once I take delivery.

I know I’m late to the party on this one, but can anyone confirm that the drastic difference in profiles between the SLD and the WH depicted above is the norm? I really like the profile of the WH but wanted something a bit thinner and stainless

I have both - both are knives that perform far beyond their price

The SLD is just effortless cutting. Hard to beat it

I have both - both are knives that perform far beyond their price

The SLD is just effortless cutting. Hard to beat it

How’s the profile on the SLD? It looks like it has way less belly than it’s WH counterpart.

True - flatter, thinner, less convex grind. It’s a better cutter in my view and much more practical - the WH requires more care

Back