Quantcast

Jumping on the Saya bandwagon...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

ChefShramrock

Reaction score
Really fantastic work. I love the red cedar. Looks like you bought some finishing oil? Danish?

birdsfan

Reaction score
I did get Danish Oil. I think that was your recommendation. The wood was really thirsty but it did give a nice smooth sheen.

Most of my sayas will be in red cedar. I bought 15 sq ft of 1/4 inch tongue and groove closet lining from Lowes. $28 for the whole box and plenty of wood for me to experiment with.

birdsfan

Reaction score
Thank you Todd! They are made using the 2 piece style, using a small trim router to cut the basic shape, then using a chisel to fine tune them.

BJE1

Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These look great. Nice job.

Jville

Reaction score
Nice sayas. Im a big fan of sayas, specially when they have a good friction fit.

birdsfan

Reaction score
Thanks Chef, thanks Jville! The birds eye maple was from a salvaged piece of hardwood flooring, and the walnut was from a beat up table I found at a thrift shop. Both one-off lucky finds. I did get that 15 sq ft box of 1/4" red cedar for $28, which is good to play with, but you don't find many handles in that color family. I do want to try out the burnt finish that you have been doing, but I have to pick up a torch, which I always forget when I am at the store.

Don't know if you ever checked out Rockler. They have a decent selection of woods including some exotics. They offer free shipping on orders over $30 if you sign up for their e-mails. I havent ordered there yet, but I likely will.

I agree with you Jville and I wish I could tell you that all of mine had a tight friction hold, but I am still a rank amatuer so it is sort of hit and miss. Got some wooden cribbage pins on order to make some pins for some of my work.

ChefShramrock

Reaction score
Thanks Chef, thanks Jville! The birds eye maple was from a salvaged piece of hardwood flooring, and the walnut was from a beat up table I found at a thrift shop. Both one-off lucky finds. I did get that 15 sq ft box of 1/4" red cedar for $28, which is good to play with, but you don't find many handles in that color family. I do want to try out the burnt finish that you have been doing, but I have to pick up a torch, which I always forget when I am at the store.

Don't know if you ever checked out Rockler. They have a decent selection of woods including some exotics. They offer free shipping on orders over $30 if you sign up for their e-mails. I havent ordered there yet, but I likely will.

I agree with you Jville and I wish I could tell you that all of mine had a tight friction hold, but I am still a rank amatuer so it is sort of hit and miss. Got some wooden cribbage pins on order to make some pins for some of my work.
Thanks for the info on Rockler. I will definitely check them out.