Just Arrived!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian Nell

Reaction score
So, Chris (knyfeknerd) sent me a stainless sabitar to keep and his carbon steel Forgecraft to use for a couple of months. I got the package about 30 minutes ago; I haven't cut anything yet, all I have done is stare at them.
I have never owned or used a carbon steel blade and a few questions.
How often should I wipe the blade while chopping?
How and with what should I clean it?
And anything else you guys/gals can think of for care.

Thanks,
Julian

clean with soap and water and wipe dry.
every few cuts of acidic foods wipe it off and don't leave food or residue on it and never leave it in the sink or put it in a dishwasher. when you are done using it wipe it with tiny bit of mineral oil blase and handle. and that's it.

Sponge, washcloth, fingers...just watch out for the sharp part. :)

Congrats, make sure and post some pictures once you get comfortable with it. Carbon is a great way to start--it will help you to develop good sanitation habits.

Once again, awesome job Chris and Son!

clean with soap and water and wipe dry.
every few cuts of acidic foods wipe it off and don't leave food or residue on it and never leave it in the sink or put it in a dishwasher. when you are done using it wipe it with tiny bit of mineral oil blase and handle. and that's it.

Did you mean "Wipe it with a tiny bit of mineral oil at the base and handle?"

the blade and the handle. the mineral oil will protect the blade from excess moisture and help prevent it from rusting. It will also keep your wood handle from drying out and help seal the pores preventing bacteria from forming.

Is it best to put a little bit on a paper towel and just put a thin layer on every part of the knife and handle?

You can put it on with a paper towel, just a very thin layer on the steel. Same with the wood, but after a few times (depending on how dry the handle is) the wood will start to get a nice buildup and won't need it as often.

Time to go buy a big bag of onions and some carrots so you can get used to using them.:knife:

Julian, the handle on the Forgecraft doesn't need to be oiled. It's stabilized Olive wood. The steel may be a little reactive at first near the edge because I just cleaned it up, but it will patina quickly. Mineral oil is good but not 100% necessary on this knife. I'm sure this thing probably survived at least 40 years before it even saw it's first bit of mineral oil. As long as you keep it dry and out of the dishwasher, it will be fine.

+1 to the quick patina on the forges. I've used my various ones for day long prep, and during service. only had a touch of rust happen once due to a dishwasher who tested my patience:viking:

my forgecraft is almost black no rust and 60 years old. I figured we should teach Julian good practices until he develops the experience to maintain and tell what a good patina looks like as opposed to the orange patina of death.lol

Okay, so I will probably use some mineral oil every couple of days.

Tonight I made some steak fajitas using both knives.
I only used the Forgecraft for a hot pepper that I sliced up. I had a wet towel beside my board and wiped it every few slices, when I was done I cleaned it with soap and water using a sponge, then I dried it really well.
With the Sabatier, I sliced up some bell peppers, red onion, and steak. I treated the Sabatier like it was a carbon steel knife, wiping it every couple of slices and washing it and drying it really well.
I was very surprised at how different the sizes felt on the board compared to just holding them. I think I liked the size of the Sabatier a little bit more than the Forge craft, but I liked the profile and over all feel of the Forgecraft better.

So, I like both of them for different reasons.

there you go. That's why most of us have so many different knives. Each of them are unique in how they feel and perform, even if you have the same model and size knife one of them will be your favorite. Sounds like you will be taking good care of your knives. Remember, Julian always take care of your tools and they will take care of you.

Okay, so I will probably use some mineral oil every couple of days.

not necessary, Julian. If you are constantly using your knife and taking care of it as you should, it shouldn't be a problem. If you live in a humid environment or are putting it away for storage than wipe it down with the mineral oil. Once a month give your knives the spa treatment and you should be fine.

So, how long is a long time to leave the knife without mineral oil, is it like two days or somewhere around a week? I ask because I will probably use each for different things and am unsure how long they will each go unused; I don't think I will ever not use either of them for more than two days.

A couple of weeks ago I sent Julian a small stainless T.I. Sab to keep and my Forgecraft to try out. The Sab is a PIF to him, but the Forgecraft is one of the 1st rehandles I've done. I won this blade from Lefty in the 2000th member giveaway, and the Olivewood scales from Mark at Burlsource from a joke contest. Needless to say, this knife holds some sentimental value to me, and the wood on it is one of the coolest pieces I've ever seen.
So, after some consideration I've decided to let the young Mr. Julian keep the Forgecraft.
He's really enjoying it, and I've got plenty of knives to use already. Also, I can't cut stuff with sentiment alone.
Here's a few pics from when I first rehandled it.
IMG_5300.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5280.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5303.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Enjoy Julian!
All I ask is that you keep us updated to your sharpening and cutting progress, and more importantly:
Get good grades in school!!!!

Awesome PIF Knerd! I'm sure Julian will make good use of the blades and hopefully as you said; come through with the grades in school!

Cheers!

I don't feel right keeping the Forgecraft, so I will be sending it back in a day or two. I had fun with it and, because of Chris's generosity, found out that I prefer stainless over carbon; not worrying about the blade oxidizing . It was an incredibly generous offer, but the knife is Chris's.

Back