Just pulled the trigger on Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo Blue #1 from ckc...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlm46

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo Blue #1 210mm from ckc... anyone else with the same knife? Kindly share your experience.
Im also interested at Hitohira Togashi White 1 Kasumi but i read somewhere that the edge is a brittle/fragile.... anyone can share there experience? Thank you... thumbnails from CKC and marc4pt0knives instagram

Attachments

• tanaka kyuzo 2.png
    tanaka kyuzo 2.png
    476.8 KB · Views: 100
  • tanaka kyuzo.png
    tanaka kyuzo.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Congratulations on the new knife! I have a white #1 Togashi double-bevel kiritsuke and don't think it has a brittle edge at all--it takes a SCREAMING edge in very, very few passes on good stones and holds it well (though I baby this knife and don't bang it into cutting boards all that often).

would anyone know the HRC rating on Hitohira White 1 and Hitohira Blue 1?

I have a bunka in this vein, it is a great little knife. I really wanted to find the gyuto, but oos everywhere it seemed and I finally lost patience and went a different direction. I think you will really like it, let us know.
I was browsing around 2am and when it showed up on my instagram feed... I knew I had to get it coz pretty soon it will be out of stock as is the case with the Hitohira Togashi white 1 kasumi...

Ive only seen HRC stuff for the honyakis. That said, Togashi's stuff isnt the hardest, but it's one of if not the best balanced, especially his blue treatment. It is the stuff of legends. A single number doesnt tell you that much anyway, and higher isnt always better. I know that's not helpful, but Togashi's got the reputation he does for a reason.

Also wrt his Shiro 1 being fragile, uh given the geometry of the knives I would say that is inaccurate.

Tanaka and Togashi make pretty much universally amazing blades; you just need to find the sharpener who does what you like.

Konosuke says their FM's which are all forged by Tanaka are 64-65 for white and blue 1. I highly doubt that Tanaka is heat treating his hitachi steel blades very differently for similar knives in different lines. Togashi from what I've seen runs a bit softer but not by much.

Konosuke says their FM's which are all forged by Tanaka are 64-65 for white and blue 1. I highly doubt that Tanaka is heat treating his hitachi steel blades very differently for similar knives in different lines. Togashi from what I've seen runs a bit softer but not by much.
I just got a reply from CKC... hitohira tanaka white 1 is 64 while hitohira tanaka blue 1 is 64 - 65....

As expected... Remember these are done in batches and hand forged/heat treated, and I doubt watch individual knife is hrc tested. There will be variations, probably +/- 1 hrc

Ive only seen HRC stuff for the honyakis. That said, Togashi's stuff isnt the hardest, but it's one of if not the best balanced, especially his blue treatment. It is the stuff of legends. A single number doesnt tell you that much anyway, and higher isnt always better. I know that's not helpful, but Togashi's got the reputation he does for a reason.

Also wrt his Shiro 1 being fragile, uh given the geometry of the knives I would say that is inaccurate.

Tanaka and Togashi make pretty much universally amazing blades; you just need to find the sharpener who does what you like.
would you know the differences between the sharpeners Yohei, Kyuzo and Togashi...

Thanks for the heads up on the Shiro 1... ill be ordering togashi white 1 kasumi in the future given the rave reviews ...

would you know the differences between the sharpeners Yohei, Kyuzo and Togashi...

Thanks for the heads up on the Shiro 1... ill be ordering togashi white 1 kasumi in the future given the rave reviews ...
For the Togashi, it's done in house, his son Kenya is the sharpener. Never experienced one before but I hear the new ones are quite nice. I have a kyuzo wide bevel and really enjoy it. Very thin behind the edge and nice fit and finish. Yohei is takada hamono, and people love how they cut, really nice convex grinds. Can't really go wrong with any of them

well, generalities, but Yohei is largely convex, Kyuzo wheel wide bevel, Kenya Togashi (the son) does both.

I like Kenya's convex more than his wide bevels, but that's because in general I do not like hollow-grinds at all.

well, generalities, but Yohei is largely convex, Kyuzo wheel wide bevel, Kenya Togashi (the son) does both.

I like Kenya's convex more than his wide bevels, but that's because in general I do not like hollow-grinds at all.
Is a Kyuzo wheel wide bevel flat or hollow?

Is a Kyuzo wheel wide bevel flat or hollow?

I think there's actually some variety, so maybe I should edit. the one I briefly checked out was VERY close to flat but it definitely not convex. maybe someone who owns a few of them can comment.

Ive actually seen some on hitohira's website that looked distinctly convex.

CKTG lists their FM blue 2 and white 1 as HRC61-62. I tend to believe this number based on my experience with Tanaka blue steels. They super easy to sharpen and super tough. The edge rentenion is not as good as Toyanabe blue 2. It behaves more like hrc 62 than hrc 64 to me. The FM white 1 HRC might be higher though. Not sure about that.

CKTG lists their FM blue 2 and white 1 as HRC61-62. I tend to believe this number based on my experience with Tanaka blue steels. They super easy to sharpen and super tough. The edge rentenion is not as good as Toyanabe blue 2. It behaves more like hrc 62 than hrc 64 to me. The FM white 1 HRC might be higher though. Not sure about that.
at least in the FM guide on here it's been marked that this is way off on CKTGs page after people talked to Kosuke, surprised it's not corrected by now. I mean even on Konosukes website they have the HRC listed...not sure that the CKTG variants would be heat treated lower, and I'd tend to trust the manufacturer more: FM Fujiyama – Konosuke

at least in the FM guide on here it's been marked that this is way off on CKTGs page after people talked to Kosuke, surprised it's not corrected by now. I mean even on Konosukes website they have the HRC listed...not sure that the CKTG variants would be heat treated lower, and I'd tend to trust the manufacturer more: FM Fujiyama – Konosuke
That’s just my experience and of course I could be totally wrong but those numbers on their websites are not as meaningful to me unless we see a test report. We know Sukenari and Mazaki have their hardness test report. I’d love to see one for Tanaka.

That’s just my experience and of course I could be totally wrong but those numbers on their websites are not as meaningful to me unless we see a test report. We know Sukenari and Mazaki have their hardness test report. I’d love to see one for Tanaka.
I do have a friend with an HRC tester....but I really would like to not put a dent into my FM's if possible, but I am curious too. So far my tanakas have seemed a bit harder than my aogami super hinoura, and around my carter muteki, I know they try and shoot for around 64 for their white 1

Did togashi ever make blue #1 iron clad knives?

just got the knife... the finishing is top notch. Will post a review in the coming days...

Attachments

• IMG_20211105_222022.jpg
    IMG_20211105_222022.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20211105_222100.jpg
    IMG_20211105_222100.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20211105_222149.jpg
    IMG_20211105_222149.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 96
Back