• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Kagekiyo Blue 1 Damascus Gyuto Black finish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, another cool one. This is a Kagekiyo 240mm Gyuto, but not just any Kagekiyo. I think this is everything you could ask for in a knife. Forged by Tanaka, sharpened by Nishida, suminigashi, blue 1, wide bevel, sweet custom handle, and a lacquer saya.

Why am I selling this? Because I am dumb and bought a honyaki, and I still have a few Tanaka I like.

The black finish is some sort of forced patina/oxide confirmed by Baba Hamono. if you use abrasives on it, it will wear. I used it for exactly one meal. Cut very well. Of course the oxide finish prevented any patina which was cool. The core has kind of like a ruby/oxblood finish in some instances and looks black in others...Quite interesting. As shown too sometimes the knife can look silver in certain lighting and angles and then jet black.

Only imperfections....a couple hairline scratches that have to have been caused from the saya, as it fits tight. The knife was always in the saya, used for one meal and then put back in the saya. Tried taking pictures as best as I could hairlines are hard to capture, but they are minor and would probably come out easily.

Asking $725 shipped, or 5% off with paypal FF or other methods. Relatively firm on price since this is a rare/special piece and I think you get a lot for the money. Won't be sad if it sticks around.

Link with complete specs: Japanese Gyuto Knife - KAGEKIYO - Blue Steel No.1 Damascus - Snakew...

Quick video to show condition:

Pics:

blck1.jpg

blck3.jpg

blck6.jpg

blck2.jpg

blck4.jpg

blck3.jpg

blck5.jpg

scratch.jpg
choil.jpg

For those that don't want to click the link, full specs:

Knife24cm
Overall Length385mm
Blade Length24mm
Blade Height at Base50mm
Blade Thickness4.09mm
Weight229g

Damn, that's a beauty, if I didn't have to drop money to rehab a condo right now I'd be all over it. Someone's gonna be real happy snagging this one. GLWS
I am quite dumb for letting it go....but I was dumb in buying another expensive knife so you know how it is haha. Gotta find funds somewhere 😪

I really hope somebody buys this soon before my wife makes me sleep on the couch

After the recent spree, wife is very wary of any knives I look at. Still gave 6.5/7.5 for this knife. She never goes above 7.5 even though scale is 0-10.

I’ve always wanted a Kagekiyo Blue 1 Damascus and always was intrigued by this finish. It has to be Ferric then Coffee right?

I really hope somebody buys this soon before my wife makes me sleep on the couch
Do it!! Hell a snakewood handle alone this nice with double marble horn and spacers is worth $200... this is the coolest forged tanaka blade I think I have ever seen.

I have two Tanaka forged Damascus knives. One is the Damascus Suiboku which is king of coolest Tanaka knives ;)

no you are right this thing is so badass. The wide bevel part of it adds a whole other level. Man if I wasn’t saving for this Kato I’d be ON THIS.

somebody hurry up amd buy this

I have two Tanaka forged Damascus knives. One is the Damascus Suiboku which is king of coolest Tanaka knives ;)

no you are right this thing is so badass. The wide bevel part of it adds a whole other level. Man if I wasn’t saving for this Kato I’d be ON THIS.

somebody hurry up amd buy this
What about tanaka aogami super? Or....Togo Reigo?? Have both of those and used them a decent amount(and only reason I'm selling this because it's almost unused....) but I still think this one edges both of them a tad on coolness factor alone. The finish just isn't something I have seen elsewhere.

Back