Kangaroo Leather for Stropping

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I was going to post this in Passarounds & Loaners as I'm interested in your comments but as I don't want them back, I'm offering the pieces as Giveaways.

I only started stropping on a homemade strop recently. I used a nondescript leather off cut glued to a piece of equally nondescript wood and have been using it loaded with chromium oxide paste. There are some who say kangaroo skin is good to use for stropping; some suggest that the roo's tail is best. I thought I'd start out with a large piece of tanned roo leather as a more economical option. There's more than enough for me so I thought I'd give some away hoping to elicit comments on its suitability as a strop material.

There are about ten pieces on offer. Approximate size will be 21cm x 9cm (8.25" x 3.5") - they're yet to be cut up. They may be a tad small but this size fits comfortably into a regular DL envelope so it will be cheap to post. At the moment, the offer is limited to members in Australia and New Zealand because a) the postage cost is very reasonable, and b) I'm unsure how other countries' customs regard kangaroo leather products. Comments regarding stropping results - loaded or unloaded - would be most welcomed. I'd also be interested in any "best practices" in affixing the leather and to what base material.

Please PM me if interested.

Cheers

Marek

I'm game. I'll shoot you a pm later and let me know what postage was and I'll send you some funds. I'm probably just going to attach it to a piece of wood with crazy glue lol.

I'm in. I'll pm tomorrow with details let me know what postage is. And thanks

Knife Folk

I'm fairly certain that I've replied to all that responded. The mail out was delayed due to life getting in the way - sorry. I expect to do so in the next few days. I'll PM all involved when I do.

Thanks

Finally got off my a***, cut up the hide, popped them in envelopes and posted them.

If you received a confirmation email from me when you expressed interest in one, then your piece of 'roo is on its way. I look forward to your comments.

Dear Marek,

It arrived in perfect order and i can't wait to try it. You're a gent.

O

Mine arrived too... just gotta jump to the hardware store to get a thin sheet of metal to glue it too.

Just received mine as well... Can't wait to glue it on something and give it a try.

Can't believe still that you shipped it to Belgium, don't know how to thank you enough though.

Cheers, and let me know if you come to visit Belgium, I'll invite you for a beer (I'm serious)

Received mine today guy at work is going to make me a strop out of black walnut to mount it on. Thanks so much the leather feels great

I received mine too , thanks. Will report on the stroping.

After a lot of stropping : bare lather very good. With compound no better than a standard one.

Back