KASUMI on a KATO !?!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A step finer!
Some love on a middle soft Ohira uchigumori bench stone and we're is now in the kasumi zone, my friends.

With low res and a cool light, the blade could get a couple of likes on Instagram but this hasn't been our plan..o_O

..So, with harsch light in order to show the scratches more deeply:

Heavy crop:

Heavy crop:

Last edited:
Watching closely, have been thinking of doing the same thing (Kasumi on a Kato).

And then the master walks in. I must see where this goes.....
hehe.. Katos and Shigs are the most flipped knives.
But also the most pimped.
These blades are hand made and therefore unique. I'm also excited to see where this one is going. ;)

hehe.. Katos and Shigs are the most flipped knives.
But also the most pimped.
These blades are hand made and therefore unique. I'm also excited to see where this one is going. ;)
After this is all done, you could probably flip this for a Kato dammy ;)

Loving this thread. I’ve been working on a white 240 standard for a friend for the past month or so.

Actually, I'm polishing this knife for someone else!
..and he is not planing to sale/trade it. (or maybe for a reasonable offer, like $69k :D)

The owner of the knife is a lucky guy :)
The knife is looking spectacular!

Last edited:
Before we continue with sexy pics..
Here is a video where you can see the slightly convex bevel refined on a Nakayama Asagi.
I sharpened the blade like this with every stone during the progression, with leading and trailing strokes.
This hard stone is a contrast killer but makes a very, very fine edge.

The knife's owner wanted a mirror core so I bet on a strong contrast with a matte clad.
Mirror looks totally black and a matte clad, very bright.
Btw if you put oil or water on the blade or if you just tilt it, the clad may turn dark and the mirror depends on what it is reflecting.

Here for example, the clad is the brightest you can find.
But you can see the grease from my fingers makes the blade looks darker on some parts. It also depends on how bright is the reflection on the core.

Last edited:
What's next?!

Nothing. ;)
Or just some cleaning on the Kanji.
Anyway, not perfect, but good enough to stop here.

And for several reasons:

_I find the result "good enough" for my conscience.

_A finer scratch pattern means much time and an unlimited time wasn't possible for this project.

_The knife is going to be used...
Kasumi on a single bevel can be perfectly maintained with a one JNAT-set, and this on a long term.
On a gyuto it's virtually impossible to maintain. Usually it will get patina very soon.
Thinning the blade is going to ruin the finish etc.

Last edited:
Happy birthday dude!
Kato or no Kato, that's a nice Kasumi.
This was a fun thread to watch progress.

Back