• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Kato 240 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevin

Reaction score
Hello there!

I have a Kato 240mm gyuto in standard kasumi profile. It's different from the normal gyuto using white steel. This one is made in blue 2 steel and is fairly rare. I would like to sell for $1400 +shipping. If you are interested please send me a PM to discuss the shipping fee and payment options. Thank you very much!

(Shipping insured airmail to the US should be around $25-35.)

Attachments

• IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 880
  • IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 750
Last edited:
Beautiful. I’ve been doing the J knife thing for a year now and know little but I wanted to ask how you know it’s blue? Just curious is all, I have a Kato 240 and was wondering if I might be able to tell somehow.

Beautiful. I’ve been doing the J knife thing for a year now and know little but I wanted to ask how you know it’s blue? Just curious is all, I have a Kato 240 and was wondering if I might be able to tell somehow.

I doubt there are any easy way. But if you have not bought the one available from Morihei last year, then most likely yours are in white steel.

I doubt there are any easy way. But if you have not bought the one available from Morihei last year, then most likely yours are in white steel.
Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

Most of his single bevel knives are in blue. On the other hand, all his double bevel knives were in white.

There are rare occasions I know Kato uses white for single bevel but using blue steel in gyuto is a first since last year with very very limited qty.

Does it have a different kanji or something that says this is a different steel?

I absolutely believe in Nevin. He gets them from a reliable source (the key is sourcing it from people who have long associations with the maker) and his source isn't the first place that has stated that kato is now doing blue steel gyutos.

Just because it's rare or unusual doesn't mean it's fake or suspect.

I have a stainless steel kato gyuto, you may not believe it but it's real like this blue steel gyuto

I absolutely believe in Nevin. He gets them from a reliable source (the key is sourcing it from people who have long associations with the maker) and his source isn't the first place that has stated that kato is now doing blue steel gyutos.

Just because it's rare or unusual doesn't mean it's fake or suspect.

I have a stainless steel kato gyuto, you may not believe it but it's real like this blue steel gyuto

Ooh do you have pics?

Also, how does one find these sources? Ya know, asking for a friend :p

Yeah man, Nevin is sound as a pound and lovely to deal with. Buy with confidence

Beautiful knife..
The story I heard around 2014 was that Kato was using a private stock of some old steel he had managed to stockpile. At that time not white or blue. I guess the stockpile has run dry.

Ooh do you have pics?

Also, how does one find these sources? Ya know, asking for a friend :p

I have photos on IG.

It's an OEM 190mm ATS-34 kato gyuto (only OEM that I know of from Kato). I thought it was a mistake when I saw the label. The store is highly reputable and has been dealing with the kato family for 3 generations. The owner confirmed with me that is it made by kato san and it's not something he normally makes.

It's a special one off OEM and only 2 were ever produced. ATS-34 is what kato uses on his hunting knives. The knife doesn't have the kato kanji as it's OEM but you can recognize it's a kato just from the profile. The seller's long history with the kato family and the steel used leaves me with enough proof of who made it even without the kanji on it.

I have very high confidence that this gyuto from Nevin is a blue. Kato definitely has blue steel since he uses it on his singles already and a few reputable sources have already started saying his is using a different steel/blue from now onwards.

nevin is as legit as they come and yes these are blue 2 katos and that ats34 kato is legit as well. there is also a tamahagane honyaki yanagi out there as well.

Beautiful knife..
The story I heard around 2014 was that Kato was using a private stock of some old steel he had managed to stockpile. At that time not white or blue. I guess the stockpile has run dry.

In my opinion these are all rumours.

nevin is as legit as they come and yes these are blue 2 katos and that ats34 kato is legit as well. there is also a tamahagane honyaki yanagi out there as well.
IIRC, JNS even had a Kato x Shig yani once... the polishing/finishing was done by Shig.

Nevin is as truth worthy as they come, and he has a reliable source.

I totally believe Nevin, and trust it is a Kato in Blue steel. I think the issue would be if someone like me, a no namer buys it and says what it is.... I’m not sure many guys would take my word for it. It pays to have some selling history, thats clear and its earned. It’s a beautiful knife, I wish I had the funds, I’d pull the trigger on it if I did.

Last edited:
I have a blue steel Kato gyuto, curtsy of Nev.

Nev’s reputation precedes him and in purchasing the blue steel gyuto, I had/have/will-have full confidence in him.

Separately, prior to Nev kindly allowing me to buy the blue steel gyuto from him, I had had confirmation from other sources, inside Japan included, that Kato-san makes blue steel gyutos.

I have been nagging Nev to let me take this one too, however I’ve been very politely told that one is enough [emoji28].

Happy address any queries potential buyers may have, if it helps.

Let's restrict this BST thread to a conversation about the purchase of the Blue Steel Kato in question please.

Any speculation about other Katos can be bought up in a non BST thread. By all means start one if you want to. Any further irrelevent or speculative posts in this thread will be deleted.

I have deleted one negative post. Any further negative posts in this thread will be deleted and will result BST bans.

Once again, if you have something to say which is negative or irrelevent to the knife in question, say it somewhwere else.

Thanks.

Last edited:
@nevin,

Any chance you could post a more detailed photo of part of the lamination line? Thanks!~

Back