kato gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange

Reaction score
I have read enough posts about all the cheers for the kato knives.
Finally, I ended up getting a 210mm workhorse this week. I like it - f&f is better than I thought and it cuts well (with limited use) pretty much on par with a dt itk I felt. Reactivity is not better or worse than my other carbon knives I thought but I must admit that the patina formed was a beautiful rainbow.

Anyway, Andrey's share of his magic moments with a kikuryu version of it intrigued me to make me want one. At the same time, I'd like to hear about your experiences with a kato damascus and a kikuryu; how they are different from regular workhorse version in terms of usual stuff - performance, reactivity, retention, etc.

Could past and current owners of damacus and kikuryu share your experience?

Thanks.

k

looks like there are not many users of the kato kikuryu or kato damascus? :(
after using 210 a few days more, i can say it's definately on the less reactive, relatively speaking, than my other carbon knives and it is really an excellent cutter.
I can see why every owner of it recommends it.

Are you talking about Hiroshi Kato? I have one of his knives (Masakage Koishi Honesuki) and the craftsmanship is superb.

Back