• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Kippington W2 Honyaki 210

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ma_sha1

Reaction score
rjqP9cr.jpg
For sale is Kippington W2 mono steel differential heat-treat Konyaki short 210 Gyuto.

The knife came to me as a heavy user, dull & thick behind the edge, could not hang with my other knifes after sharpening, not makers fault, it’s just naturally what happens after rounds of sharpening & the edge moves up into thicker steel, it has rusts & pitting on right side as well. I did a bunch of work on it:

1, Heavy thinning & overall polishing, especially on the right side, but kept overall grind. One photo you can see a shinny middle with rougher Kasumi like finish above & below on left side, indicating the knife has mild s-grind on left face, fine polishing wasn’t able to reach the valley. Right side is convex, & stay convex after thinning.

Rust & 90% pitting were removed, polished up to 2000 grade sand paper, it’s reflective but hairlines are visible, about 10% pitting still visible on the right side, its at 1/3 front/ top of knife right side, one picture shows it.

One photo shows Kippington’s unique Swiss cheese jigsaw puzzle like Hamon from his early Honyaki work, looks like water mark, it’s the hamon from his unique differential heat treat using metal plate instead of clay.

2, Reduced the wide/tall neck because the crocodile dundee style wide neck was too tall/wide for my liking. It was about half of the height of heel, now about 1/3 heel height.

3, reduced length, weight of handle & shifted balance forward. Also introduced more taper, including tapering front to back & tapered butt, original handle size too big & heavy for me. The knife was balanced on the ferrule when I got it, new balance is now on the neck, right behind the heel.

Specs:
203 mm edge length
46 mm heel height
165g weight
Killer linear distal taper all the way to tip, tip is
very thin, thinner than any of my Samai clad knives. Performance much improved, has that solid mono steel feel, cuts very well, carrot cutting on par with my 3x thinned TF Marboroshi.

Price:

$395 + shipping.

Bunch more photos here:
https://m.imgur.com/a/MKJtpNq

Open to trade of selected 210, trade has priority: Kurosaki AS Fujin, Mario, Marko, Shig Ketaji.

Last edited:
Reduce again to $335
Here is the picture you can see the Hamon:
looks like two jigsaw puzzle pieces

NsNlJt6_d.jpg

iSMlEX1_d.jpg

Last edited:
Big drop for the weekend:

$295 for Kipington W2 Honyaki.
Its a great cutter, unfortunately I over spent my budget.

Back