Kiritsukes, Masamoto, and the case of the wrong knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe there was an even earlier version (neither sold nor in the photo) that had a shinogi, and he was referring to that?

Or maybe koki is clarifying the OP intentionally ordered a k tip Gyuto as opposed to an actual kiritsuke that should always have a shinogi. Koki repeats that it is double bevel edge.

Masamoto has a sanmai KS gyuto, model number is KS 2924 for 240mm one. Here is an older thread about it: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...o-KS-2924-Wa-Gyuto-(San-Mai)-anyone-tried-one

They (Masamoto) probably use different craftmens for their mono steel KS and san mai KS.

My take for this kiritsuke is that it probably is their san-mai gyuto with the nose chopped off to look like a kiritsuke tip. Edge profile looks pretty much like a typical gyuto.

I also agree with this. Its probably why the production of the mono KS and Honyaki stopped around the same time and yet the clad knives were still produced.

I didn't mean to jump on the original poster, sorry man

I just communicate with Koki quite regularly and he has on more than one occasion shipped me replacement knives or issued a refund before I have sent the original back, which to me says alot. Granted it may be due to my low knife budget and extensive communication with Koki even regarding banal stuff (what do you like to cook etc). I'm assuming nobody would expose a higher priced knife to that liability but... That's why I buy cheaper knives ;)

My point is that no one is painting you as the villian but you are, yes you are, painting Koki as a villian... you list several complaints about the knife however everyone of them can be answeres with 2 seconds of research...

The profile is the only issue, which I personally still think is more similar to what you got than what Rick got based on that pic, but that's just my interpretation of the photo.

The key is in your reply, you assumed counter to what was written... and then predominantly got what the site said you would (except debatably profile).

No one wishes you bad but you say Koki was great... except everyone of your previous post laid blame solely at him... of course he is reluctant to offer a refund for a perfectly good knife which may have been used or sharpened and therefore is then unable to be resold.

You need to own your responsibility in this for assuming things that were just totally counter to the information given.... or instead of trying to build up a massive case against koki "swindling" you... you could have just said.. hey this knife doesn't appear to be tge same profile of the pic.. am I imagining this or what are your experience.

I truly hope it works out for you and you get what you want in the end.

You seem to have a different version of history than I do. I read through all of my responses and can't find any reference to me saying "swindling".

Here's what I did say, for your records:

zapatodefuego said:
For what it's worth JapaneseChefKnives has offered a full refund but getting them to agree to this took a bit of convincing. They also offered a small discount if I were to keep the knife but it was paltry in comparison to the total cost. I haven't returned it yet but I can't imagine I won't eventually.

And that's true. I asked for a refund right away but their initial response was to offer a discount. Not saying that's bad or anything like that but its what happened and its also such an insignificant point that people are focusing on for some reason.

malexthekid said:
except everyone of your previous post laid blame solely at him

Where? Where's this so called case I'm building up against Koki?

Is this it?

zapatodefuego said:
The problem is that JCK doesn't sell the model they have listed which is not right.

That's a pretty fair point, no? What else? Nothing. Read my post history and see for yourself if you feel so inclined.

Somewhere in the world a seller made a simple mistake and took responsibility for it. End of story. This post was to rant a bit and then ask for suggestions which I got from some very helpful people.

"I read through all of my responses and can't find any reference to me saying "swindling"."

Probably regional interpretation of english language ... in an area where british-ish understatement-ish-ness is common, "took a bit of convincing" can probably be interpreted as "was staunchly unwilling to, and had to be forced into submission using repeated substantial threats" :)

"I read through all of my responses and can't find any reference to me saying "swindling"."

Probably regional interpretation of english language ... in an area where british-ish understatement-ish-ness is common, "took a bit of convincing" can probably be interpreted as "was staunchly unwilling to, and had to be forced into submission using repeated substantial threats" :)

What the heck are you talking about.

Back