Kitchen Knife Questionnaire

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeLoveshighCarbon

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but an older member suggested I should start off with this Questionnaire to get started with buying and pass arounds.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?

Chef's knives, a nakiri, and maybe a petty or two. I'd love to have a cleaver on hand as well.

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle?

I like japanese style, but would be interested in western as well if it were priced right

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

180-240mm chefs
180 nakiri
80-120mm petty

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No, I like stainless but they always seem to suck just a little bit.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

250$

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Vegetable prep, push cutting primarily. I usually buy meat already processed but that still need slicing. I do some mincing and chopping but prefer my nakiri for that.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Dojo nakiri 165mm that i want out of. I have a masakage and Makoto gyuto, but would mostly like to try some different styles of chef knives.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use?

Push and some rock cuts. Occasionally chop.

What improvements do you want from your current knife?

I mostly just want to try out different things. I had a workhorse 240 goko, and I loved that knife, but it wasn't a practical choice for me at home. Felt clumsy and the grind would wedge. I like thin and fast for the most part, but would like something with a little more heft than the masakage with a taller blade.

Better aesthetics?

I dont care how it looks. I actually prefer something to look ****** and be practical. I dont want to shill out and extra 200$ for a custom handle with a custom blade finish.

Comfort?

I do like a nice choil. I wouldn't mind splurging a little for a well groomed choil, but I can groom it myself.

Ease of Use?

I'm pretty badass at sharpening just to toot my own horn, but I dont like how white 1 loses its edge so fast. I prefer blues and steel that take a keen edge and hold it.

Edge Retention ?

Medium to long

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?

Maple end grain

Do you sharpen your own knives?

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

N/a

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?

Possibly, but I already have 400$ in stones from wood working. Anyone go beyond 8k on the regular?

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I'd like to buy some knives for family members. Just looking for high quality grinds without a bunch of glitz and glam. The burly handles, perfect mirror cheeks, etc.

Back