Knife handle maintain

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam92

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is this?

Can i use on knife handle?

I currently use mineral oil+beeswax.

Screenshot_20190817_230009_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
Screenshot_20190817_230003_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

it should say on the can what it contains.

I use only pure tung oil (liberon brand) and its very good and durable.
but you can use true oil, danish oil, linseed oil (this will yellow with time as opposed to tung), gunstock oil and so on.

most of these are blends of tung and linseed and then some solvents and some other crap to aid whatever property, i think the property most of the additives aid is cost/profit margin for the manufacturer.

it should say on the can what it contains.

I use only pure tung oil (liberon brand) and its very good and durable.
but you can use true oil, danish oil, linseed oil (this will yellow with time as opposed to tung), gunstock oil and so on.

most of these are blends of tung and linseed and then some solvents and some other crap to aid whatever property, i think the property most of the additives aid is cost/profit margin for the manufacturer.
instruction said use on the wood/floor but i just wondering is there anyone use at the magnolia wood knife handle before..

I was advised by Will C to use an evaporating mix of beeswax and white spirit for handles. Seems to work really nicely. Bar of beeswax to 100ml of white spirit.

instruction said use on the wood/floor but i just wondering is there anyone use at the magnolia wood knife handle before..

I have treated my magnolia handle with tung oil. it works fine. its very very likely the oil you are looking at will work too.

you will most likely have to do this:
sand the handle with 240p paper or so or higher grit.
dilute the oil to 50% with white spirit/naphta/acetone
apply the diluted oil 2-3 times and let dry in between.
then apply non diluted oil a few times and let dry in between.
done.

this will take a few days. but you dont have to redo it for a year or many.

I was advised by Will C to use an evaporating mix of beeswax and white spirit for handles. Seems to work really nicely. Bar of beeswax to 100ml of white spirit.
What kind of white spirit you using?

Back