Knife sharpening for one-handed users?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhpr262

Reaction score
A guy recently posted on reddit about the issues he has with sharpening because he basically has the use of only one hand. I remember a youtube video from some guy that was pretty (in)famous a while ago who demonstrated one handed sharpening with his technique.

IIRC he began by dragging the edge across the stone perpendicularly to remove the old fatigued steel and then basically flailed the knife back and forth across the stone very rapidly with just one hand.

Does anybody know which video I am talking about? IIRC he named his technique after himself.

Last edited:
A guy recently posted on reddit about the issues he has with sharpening because he basically has the use of only one hand. I remember a youtube video from some guy that was pretty (in)famous a while ago who demonstrated one handed sharpening with his technique.

IIRC he began by dragging the edge across the stone perpendicularly to remove the old fatigued steel and then basically flailed the knife back and forth across the stone very rapidly with just one hand.

Does anybody know which video I am talking about? IIRC he named his technique after himself.
Sort of sounds like Cliff Stamp's method. Cruise his YouTube?

After my shoulder surgery I tried to sharpen with one hand ..... that didn't work for me. I would be interested in this video too!

This is basically a razor technique. I use different takes and variations.

Not everything is doable or easy with the one hand approach, but getting a new clean apex, definitely is.

I think my biggest problem after the surgery was that I couldn't use my right arm. I am right handed.

I usually sharpen with a change of hands, but I always only do edge-leading strokes with the right. I think that's just a matter of practice too.

Yeah, you get used to it. I started sharpening with both hands pretty quickly and made a huge difference on how I see this, I guess.
Just like left foot braking. Picked it up after doing some test runs, taking it slow. Now, years later, I can say that my fine tuning is better with my left foot.
I'm right everything as well.

Back