Knives with curvy profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
Any reasonably priced options from Western or J makers for a gyutos with curvy profile. I like the profile with very little (but still some) flat spot. And when the knife is rested on the flat spot there is a bit ot a upwards curve towards the heel.

ZKramer's have a curvy profile, and when found on sale can be had for a good price. The 52100s are really nice. The plain stainless I found "boring", and I'm just trying a damascus for the first time.
I found the zkramer to be relatively flat at the heel. At least on my carbon euroline 1.0

Thanks all for suggestions, but its very hard to judge actual curvature on flat pictures like that. Its best to see knife edge down against flat surface and see where "light shines" to determinate the profile.

If you're willing to do a bit of work on stones you can add in a little bit of curve yourself. You will need to rethin/sharpen the edge near the heel afterwards though. I recently did it on my new Matsubara cleaver which was dead flat at the heel.

Here’s a few pics I happen to have sitting around.

Yu kurosaki 210 - very little flat spot and an uptick at the heel.
11A31A26-7E6E-470E-AEDD-B45F723C9668.jpeg

Yu kurosaki 180 santoku - same thing, surprisingly for an alleged santoku but you can see that he’s consistent.
01D5F606-DE94-4826-95C3-56E37512FD05.jpeg

Y Tanaka Miura Itadaki 210 - tiny bit larger flat spot than the Kurosaki, also with a heel uptick
99D1D522-9E2A-42FC-899A-46574718031F.jpeg

Threw in a Birgersson 210 just because I have a pic handy. Very generous flat spot, probably wouldn’t suit OP.
06D42902-C24C-449C-BC41-258B359489D3.jpeg

Here’s a few pics I happen to have sitting around.

Yu kurosaki 210 - very little flat spot and an uptick at the heel.
View attachment 181635

Yu kurosaki 180 santoku - same thing, surprisingly for an alleged santoku but you can see that he’s consistent.
View attachment 181636

Y Tanaka Miura Itadaki 210 - tiny bit larger flat spot than the Kurosaki, also with a heel uptick
View attachment 181637

Threw in a Birgersson 210 just because I have a pic handy. Very generous flat spot, probably wouldn’t suit OP.
View attachment 181638
Thank you very much, thats perfect kind of information. Just need more examples :)
Interesting that my YU Kurosaki in AS has very flat profile, very different from your R2 (I guess) example.

Thank you very much, thats perfect kind of information. Just need more examples :)
Interesting that my YU Kurosaki in AS has very flat profile, very different from your R2 (I guess) example.

Nope, the one in the picture was AS as well, but I’ve since sold it. It was a fujin, I believe one of his more recent models.

Takedas are curvy, perhaps too curvy. They tend not to have a flat spot at all.

Back