Konosuke Keiai NT Damascus ??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zetieum

Reaction score
Any one tried this new konosuke line? Or heard sth about it? They look pretty nice. I am wondering about the smell and the grind..

3907_0.jpg

nice looking dammy but I really don't like the way the handle is not flush...reminds me of the SIH which I also didn't like for the same reason. I always thought that was reserved for single bevels?

I've seen a few wa gyuto with machi gaps.

I like the look as well. I'm not 100% but to my knowledge, these are not etched, but darkened throughout the layers using another process. The contrast and darkness may have more longevity. I have no idea what the core steel is (proprietary) and no idea what the grind is like. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

I do have the knife. For me the knife can bending a little bit. So maybe on the soft side. For sharpness is on average side. Haven't sharpen it yet. But I feel the handle is not comfortable for me at all.

Saw this knife when it was first available awhile back. Been wanting to get one to try but I just can't stand that the handle is not tapered.

nice looking dammy but I really don't like the way the handle is not flush...reminds me of the SIH which I also didn't like for the same reason. I always thought that was reserved for single bevels?

not at all... in fact, the gaps are common in japan, but people here hate them (even though they serve a purpose and most of the things people are scared of happening dont happen), so makers make things flush before sending here

Is it available in 240 or longer length? There seem to be a few Konosuke lines that have 210 as the largest gyuto?

not at all... in fact, the gaps are common in japan, but people here hate them (even though they serve a purpose and most of the things people are scared of happening dont happen), so makers make things flush before sending here

what are their purposes

its a function of finger spacing and allowing for a handle to be removed for maintenance and reinstalled properly

I always want machi exposed for exactly the reasons Jon states. So many konos and other knives to be fair, like the HD HH were sent with slammed handles over customers (really knowledgeable ones) concerns that it looked sloppy and/or sano reasons.... ugg.... Although I see more international vendors like tosho etc.. selling with more machi exposed:doublethumbsup:
That NT looks like a very small reveal which imo is too tight.
There are knives that don't need like shig cause handle flows into the knife the same size as the metal.

The coating lasts much longer than patina or acid etching- but nothing is permanent of course. No smell I notice at all, just the handle wood.

That other forum did a pass around with this knife- a few people have weighed in with reviews. I've heard mixed opinions on it, performance wise. But apparently it's a real stunner to look at.

That other forum did a pass around with this knife- a few people have weighed in with reviews. I've heard mixed opinions on it, performance wise. But apparently it's a real stunner to look at.

If by that other forum you mean the place that sells them in the states then I would discount anything you read...jmo but hard to tell much from a bunch of shills.

If by that other forum you mean the place that sells them in the states then I would discount anything you read...jmo but hard to tell much from a bunch of shills.

Haha- you're right that I should have clarified. I didn't mean to say it could be a good source for opinion on performance, as much as hearing people compare it physically to other knives they own. I thought there could be some value there.

That said, I have spoke with a couple people on that forum over PM about the knife, and they weren't overly enthusiastic. It looks nice, and is a decent; but performance was less than, say, an HD2. Of course that can be taken with a grain of salt as well, but as info about the knife has been a tad scarce outside that circle, I thought it might be worth more than nothing.

Thanks for your input guys. I am a home user and it seems really a looker. I would be OK, if performance were OK enough as al rounder no brainer to use. But if it is really underperformant, I will skip: I do not need a drawer queen... From what I see, it seems quite right handed biased, does someone that handled it could confirm?

If you want a looker, look into yoshikane kurochi Damascus made from skd or a takamura uchigumo(suminagashi) both of those blades are god tier, easily playing with the best us makers, take an amazing edge and keep it basically forever. Epic edge gives 10% off to kkf members so that's your yoshikane and the takamura is available at knifewear

Thanks for your input guys. I am a home user and it seems really a looker. I would be OK, if performance were OK enough as al rounder no brainer to use. But if it is really underperformant, I will skip: I do not need a drawer queen... From what I see, it seems quite right handed biased, does someone that handled it could confirm?

I would like to hear whether it is right hand biased as well, for the choil picture makes it look a lot more convex on the right blade face. But depending on the angle and the way the pic was taken, that could be misleading. I'm always kind of surprised that site doesn't always have well focused choil pics even though they don't necessarily tell the whole story...

Is it available anywhere else in 240 or larger? 210 is a no go for me, especially considering it seems Konosuke tends to be a "short" 210...

Latest posts

Back