Lamson Collaboration: Next Step

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, I sure do wonder what's happening with this knife now!

:crossfingers:

(... ...that should do it.)

When last I spoke with Tom, the knife went to a final tester. At that time, it had not returned, nor was Tom able to get a response from the tester. I spoke with Tom a bit ago, and we still want to go ahead with this, but this turn of events, kinda was a kick in the nuts. This is the second time a pass around piece of mine disappeared. It quite discouraging. The whole point of the pass around was two fold. One to get feedback, and two to get the knife back to examine it. To see how the materials held up... It is a set back, I now have to build another to have Lamson a place to work from.

I just found this forum recently. Is it still ok to express an interest in this project? If so, I'm in.

When last I spoke with Tom, the knife went to a final tester. At that time, it had not returned, nor was Tom able to get a response from the tester. I spoke with Tom a bit ago, and we still want to go ahead with this, but this turn of events, kinda was a kick in the nuts. This is the second time a pass around piece of mine disappeared. It quite discouraging. The whole point of the pass around was two fold. One to get feedback, and two to get the knife back to examine it. To see how the materials held up... It is a set back, I now have to build another to have Lamson a place to work from.

Are you ******* serious?!! I really hope there were extenuating circumstances involved here and not nefarious intentions. I remember the last time it happened, I gave your knife to someone and then poof, off the radar for months. I tried calling, went to his house, nothing. I think hurricane Sandy may have been a factor but I'm not sure. I had some thoughts about something else happening behind the scenes but I couldn't confirm. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. If you are interested in these thoughts Pierre, send me a PM and put your tin foil hat on.

That is really disappointing. It really bothers me when people's personal knives aren't returned in a passaround, but this one particularly stings. I'd assume the testers were senior and known members, and it bothers me even more that someone would abuse the trust of Tom & Pierre, as well as the entire community.

Are you ******* serious?!! I really hope there were extenuating circumstances involved here and not nefarious intentions. I remember the last time it happened, I gave your knife to someone and then poof, off the radar for months. I tried calling, went to his house, nothing. I think hurricane Sandy may have been a factor but I'm not sure. I had some thoughts about something else happening behind the scenes but I couldn't confirm. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. If you are interested in these thoughts Pierre, send me a PM and put your tin foil hat on.

I forgot about that one. It did come home however, so no harm, no foul. The other I refereed to was a straight razor, not technically a knife, but same result. Maybe some people like my knives enough to consider signing a pass around with intent...

Hopefully there is a good explanation, like the guy got thrown in jail for 60 days and when he gets out he will finish his review and send on the knife, along with a matching shiv he made himself in the jail shop.

Hopefully there is a good explanation, like the guy got thrown in jail for 60 days and when he gets out he will finish his review and send on the knife, along with a matching shiv he made himself in the jail shop.

Take a bunch of cigarette pack cellophane wrappers, melt them down into a block then sharpen it against concrete and wrap electrical tape around the base for a handle.

im guesing if this person was doing a review for a prototype knife and it was sent to professionals only he must be someone that most people here know. If its in new york let me know and i'll see if I can go get it for you

It appears to be in Minneapolis. If the person currently in possession of this knife is on this board, please contact Tom or myself, and make an effort to return it. I will even pay shipping, if that is the issue.

Pierre and I have tried taking the high road, but now it's beyond that. I hope it can get returned without any further measures needing to be taken....

Sucks! If we don't look out for each other, then whom will? The chef & knife nut community is very special, almost sacred & when someone defaces our trust & brotherhood, well it just SUCK!!!

I really wanted to go get it bc I've been itching to get in a little trouble. Probably all for the best it's far away

I still have faith that this will turn up. The member who has/last had it is a solid guy, from what I know. I hand picked the list, and really doubt I'd be that off on my judgement.

I still have faith that this will turn up. The member who has/last had it is a solid guy, from what I know. I hand picked the list, and really doubt I'd be that off on my judgement.

Time to handpick an elite retrieval task force...

Alright, guys. After a lot of back and forth, and tons of coversation with Pierre, and a fair bit with the testers, I came up with a tweaked design. As you can see, this was sketched a couple months ago, but I've been pretty busy, and Pierre and I have been trying to figure out the best way to go about this all.

We had lots of great comments, and a few of the same "this could be tweaked, but I like it" type of comments. Of course, we had some little negatives that I feel we have tackled with this design. Mind the edge profile (it will stay pretty much the same), and I have added a few stylistic points that are my "flavour".

We realize this is for our guys here, first, so I want everyone's opinion. Please, let us know honestly, if you like this direction.

As always, thanks in advance. :)

485C82FC-7AA4-4597-AEC7-6A7CABFCB2F0-19109-0000196225AD7CB7_zpsec67952c.jpg

I should add that this version is only a possibility, depending on how it is received.

I personally don't like a sloped back choil, but I can live with it, 56mm at the heel will give the knife some longevity, also the handle looks quite large? I like that you're giving it some style.

I's really hard to tell from a non scale drawing but I still like it. Sorta looks like your 180mm Harner with the elastic band.

I like my knives shorter and no sloped choil aswell but it looks like a nice profile

I can't say I like it since the proportion is off. If the height is 56mm than the length is about 44mm short according to my super scientific "count the squares" theory. Handle seems extra tall too. I am glad to hear this is still in the works and I look forward to checking it out in it's new incarnation.

I didnt mean shorter in length I meant in heal height. Lol I reread what I wrote

Latest posts

Back