Larrin's CPM MagnaCut stainless supersteel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The newest "supersteel" has arrived apparently, Larrin's CPM MagnaCut. Supposed to have the toughness and wear resistance of 4V at higher hardness with the corrosion resistance of 20CV. Devin Thomas gyuto in MagnaCut discussed in the article.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/
Shut up and take my money!

Really cool to see this. finally someone makes a tough stainless steel with good abrasive wear resistance.
i mean for the last 20 years or so its only been focus on abrasive wear, with lots of carbon and carbides, and most of these are quite chippy and brittle.
mode of dulling is almost always by chipping out.

the typical "knife user" today seems to want something like this:
3% C / 20% Cr / 15% V / 5% W / 5% Nb. and of course its gonna be the most brittle ****ing **** ever invented.
many times i wonder what people use their knives for? whittling concrete bricks? is that what people do?

and finally we get something else! very good job larrin! hats off.

i feel you did a good job here. i mean this steel is better/more balanced overall (imo) than the big makers "knife" stainless. thinking crucible, hitachi, uddeholm, sandvik, carpenter etc etc. thats gotta feel good.

I hear they've cancelled this year's World Championship of Whack-A-Mole and just given the trophy to Larrin Thomas; after seeing him nail this many steel characteristics, the organizers say it's clear no one was going to be able to beat him anyway. :)

Back