Laser and thin gyuto recommendation/comparison

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
USA/Canada/Europe (having a big family is nice)

KNIFE TYPE?
240mm gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handle.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 230 - 250 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
250 dollars in total, but the less the better

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Both.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for? slicing, chopping, and mincing vegetables, slicing meats, and mincing herbs.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? 8 inch global, 10 inch ksab

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push cut, I also like to (very gently) rock my herbs

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) I want a thinner sharper edge. Retention isn't as critical. Stiffness (for a laser) is appreciated.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? I'm not a fan of hammered or Damascus. Don't care for a specific finish.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? I prefer a good f&f especially for the choil and spine. Don't care much for fancy handles.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Hate wedging, anything else goes.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes; wood and synthetic.

Do you sharpen your own knives? Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I'm just another noob looking for his first Jknife. But the more I look (after both of my BST posts failed to get me a gyuto) the more I want something super thin to really feel the difference between them and my old sabs and globals. So I'm thinking of buying a laser wa gyuto as my first (and only, mind you) real Jknife. Is that a bad idea? I like the ikazuchi, the ashi hamono, and the Sakai yusuke (the later 2 in white) and I wonder how all 3 compare.
But I'm also open to thin but not so laser like gyutos for around 200 bucks, like the Tanaka (not sure if blue or ginsan, since I like blue more but the ginsan's lite model is 45 dollars cheaper and doesn't have an ebony handle) Thanks as always KKF.

You can find Ashi Ginga or Sakai Yusuke 240mm wa-gyutos for your target price at Bluewayjapan on eBay. That's where I purchased my Ginga. Both are lasers. I don't have the Yusuke, so can't compare the two. They are available in Swedish Stainless or White 2.

However, if you have the opportunity, I'd recommend borrowing a laser and a heavier knife to compare. I ended up preferring the heft of mid-weight knives. My Tanaka Ginsans (I have both 210 and 240) are the knives I use the most. The 210 is the older, heavier Tanaka grind, and is the favorite. They are thin behind the edge and good cutters. Tanakas from Knives and Stones cost less than $200.

However, if you have the opportunity, I'd recommend borrowing a laser and a heavier knife to compare. I ended up preferring the heft of mid-weight knives...

I would advice similar. Lasers are nice but just for some tasks. Problem is that for some tasks they are not usable at all - for heavy/hard stuff.

Perhaps you have a feeling that with lasers you will get better cutting performance. But this is not true. You can have heavy (spine thick) knife that cuts like laser.
I find my self grabbing them all the time and leaving lasers on the rack.

Thanks for the advice, however no one around me uses anything beyond a global or shun so it's hopeless. Also I know about the buying and material options, I just wanted to see how the ikazuchi compared to the ashi and the yusuke, how would you guys rank all 3 and such. But thanks either way, I keep going back to the Tanaka I feel, are there any other similar options?

My coworker will be lending me his Tanaka Ginsan in a day or two, and I've got a Misono Sweden so I will try and report back.

I've used an Ashi Ginga stainless in 240 and thought it was a decent feeling knife. The most laserish knife I have it a Kotetsu 180 Bunka. It is hard to really describe how thin the knife is, but it has a way of falling through food.

However, if you have the opportunity, I'd recommend borrowing a laser and a heavier knife to compare. I ended up preferring the heft of mid-weight knives. My Tanaka Ginsans (I have both 210 and 240) are the knives I use the most.

Good post

My coworker will be lending me his Tanaka Ginsan in a day or two, and I've got a Misono Sweden so I will try and report back.

I've used an Ashi Ginga stainless in 240 and thought it was a decent feeling knife. The most laserish knife I have it a Kotetsu 180 Bunka. It is hard to really describe how thin the knife is, but it has a way of falling through food.

I will haunt you till you share pics of the two and details :p
I like both but living so far from everything I can't order both and keep what I like, not worth paying 100 bucks. So whenever you do compare let me know how they both perform and which is thinner and such
Thanks!

If you haven't use a Laser before then you will really enjoy it, Ginga or sakai yusuke both are identical blades with a small different in handle installation.
Go for Ginga, from what i heard Yusuke will not make white steel knives anymore.

Personally, I like lasers even though I'm also a huge fan of heavy workhorses also that are well done. A western laser is an interesting concept to me. It adds some sturdiness and some heft without losing the thinness and laser performance. Guys that don't like lasers often don't like their lack of food release and often complain about them being to light. The western handle somewhat deals with the weight issue, not that everyone will prefer that style.

Gesshin Ginga, Tad, Takamura, Shibata, are all good choices. Little out of your budget. I'd agree that lazerz aren't for everything, but if you have some heavier beater knives you should be just fine.

I could ship you my Ginga to test for a bit? Tip has been repaired a bit and it's got a heavy patina. But it's in good shape, and would give you a good baseline?

Thanks for the advice, however no one around me uses anything beyond a global or shun so it's hopeless. Also I know about the buying and material options, I just wanted to see how the ikazuchi compared to the ashi and the yusuke, how would you guys rank all 3 and such. But thanks either way, I keep going back to the Tanaka I feel, are there any other similar options?

The Ikazuchi is san mai. Know a couple cooks who love using them. If just getting one Japanese knife the Tanaka Ginsan or blue core are good choices. I like thick spines as much as the next guy, also like having a pure laser in my kit.

Gesshin Ginga, Tad, Takamura, Shibata, are all good choices. Little out of your budget. I'd agree that lazerz aren't for everything, but if you have some heavier beater knives you should be just fine.

I could ship you my Ginga to test for a bit? Tip has been repaired a bit and it's got a heavy patina. But it's in good shape, and would give you a good baseline?
Thanks for the offer, that's really amazing of you! But I live all the way in Lebanon so shipping it across the planet isn't the best choice right now :p

Thanks for the offer, that's really amazing of you! But I live all the way in Lebanon so shipping it across the planet isn't the best choice right now :p
Ahh, well I guess that's a bit prohibitive then. Sorry about that, I read your location as USA/Canada/Europe.

Back