Looking for a 270mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walla

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Left

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Either but leaning Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 270... I have 2 in the 240 neighborhood and a misono carbon around 270...

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? That could depend on the knife...but nothing over 500 please it would only cause heartache...

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) It would see regular use in a restaurant kitchen...so pretty much all the above...

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Just looking for yet another knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push pull

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? I'm not a huge fan of Damascus...it's not a deal breaker though

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Who doesn't like edge retention...?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Rubber sanituff and Asahi at work...wood at home

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Looking forward to hearing suggestions...I do have a soft spot for carbon...the right stainless might change my mind...

Take care

Jeff

The JNS Mazaki 270 is by far the best knife you can get in this budget!

Latest posts

Back