Looking for a traditionally made 270mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
270 Toyamas are in stock at JNS. Mine is amazing. If you don't like it (and I can't imagine you won't), I honestly think there's a robust secondary market for that particular knife.

That's not a bad idea, 52mm and up is basically all I want, sub that on a 270 and I lose interest. Kippington is something I forget about.
fyi, labor's workhorse from kippington is one of the finest knives i've come across if i didnt already have a go-to workhorse that i am thrilled with, i would totally have a kip if that tells you anything.. which brings us to mario ingoglia the knife that unexpectedly stole my heart. he might be able to make you one at your budget, doesnt hurt to ask.

it should be between those two makers i think. but at 255 length instead of 270 unless you are dead set on that size. to be honest my bulk prep knife was takeda for the longest time because when youre doing tedious work for hours, you want something light. wasnt doing bulk prep any more so i let it go, soon after i started missing having a tall knife so i replaced it with a masashi sld which was great knife but i missed the food release from takeda.

then i re-read what you are after, seems you need fancy handle and saya which the akebono comes with. i've always been intrigued by these mostly cause of the sweet profile.

Last edited:
fyi, labor's workhorse from kippington is one of the finest knives i've come across if i didnt already have a go-to workhorse that i am thrilled with, i would totally have a kip if that tells you anything.. which brings us to mario ingoglia the knife that unexpectedly stole my heart. he might be able to make you one at your budget, doesnt hurt to ask.

it should be between those two makers i think. but at 255 length instead of 270 unless you are dead set on that size. to be honest my bulk prep knife was takeda for the longest time because when youre doing tedious work for hours, you want something light. wasnt doing bulk prep any more so i let it go, soon after i started missing having a tall knife so i replaced it with a masashi sld which was great knife but i missed the food release from takeda.

then i re-read what you are after, seems you need fancy handle and saya which the akebono comes with. i've always been intrigued by these mostly cause of the sweet profile.

don't need just defiantly want, im confident a mario handle would meet my needs and kipp uses anton sometimes which would again meet my needs, im going to think on this for a week or two, and pull the trigger on something.

Used mostly 240's at work 270mm for some jobs. A 255mm sounds like perfect size in a pro kitchen.

Watanabe is out, I've decided he's making me a deba in blue #2

He doesn’t make anything ;). But back on topic: just get a new mazaki from jns and be done with it :)

Not in stock and I have a custom knife coming from him next year already. It's between akebino and toyama at this point, and I'm aware of Watanabe being a small factory lol

Not in stock and I have a custom knife coming from him next year already. It's between akebino and toyama at this point, and I'm aware of Watanabe being a small factory lol

A custom Mazaki?! Do tell!

Toyama is a great knife, every knife I tried from him did not disappoint :)

A custom Mazaki?! Do tell!

Toyama is a great knife, every knife I tried from him did not disappoint :)

Still waiting on him to agree to it but he seemed game for my idea, ask me later when it's 100% confirmed

Back