• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Looking for petty and cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have collected a few mid-end Japanese knives including kono fujiyama gyuto, kono stainless sujihiki, and shig Kuro santoku. I am looking to complete my knife set with a nice petty and a cleaver.

petty preference:

I prefer R2/ginsan with stainless clad, Carbon with iron-clad, 130 - 180 mm long, western or wa-handle.
budget: $80-$200 USD
Petty update: leaning towards buying Munetoshi 165mm petty from JNS. Just have to get some money confidence to pull the trigger.

cleaver preference:

I am looking meat cleaver/Chinese cleaver. will consider any steel, any size, and any handle.
budge: $80-$200 USD
Cleaver update: ended up getting a used SHI BA ZI ZUO meat cleaver from Amazon for $20 dollars. I decided I would not want to put something I pay $100 < though bones. the SHI BA ZI ZUO cleaver is well built and so far no denting/chipping even from attempting to chop thick bones.

Last edited:
You realize a meat cleaver & a Chinese slicer cleaver are totally different.

can't go wrong with a takamura r2. If you're looking for a meat cleaver, just get a thick stainless one from your local asian market if you have one

I think theirs a R2 petty on BTS right now bro

sorry, I should edit my preference: not looking for a thin cleaver. its suppose to handle hefty things that my J-knives can't handle

If you're looking for super heavy duty, a lot of Asian supermarkets carry these. In my experience, they're usually in bins pretty indiscriminately wherever the kitchen supplies are. Someone here might have what you're looking for, but the cost of shipping one of those alone is going to cost almost as much as buying one new.

Back