Looking to purchase first 240mm gyuto...Please advise!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Victorinox Fibrox is a good choice for a second Chef Knife. When you learn freehand sharpening you can put on a convex edge that will make it cut well. The steel is pretty good and can be sharpened many times over the years.

You have many choices in the 250.00 max. price range. Stainless clad Aogami Super blue steel make good knives. The Gesshin Kagero SRS-15 powder steel has superior edge retention and is easy to sharpen. The Ginga is more of a laser type. It glides through food and is a good blade for most foods fruits, vegetables, & meats without bone.

This assertion that the Kagero and the Akifusa are the same knife keeps popping up, often enough that it's largely thought to be true. I've not seen Jon address it either way. What is the basis for the assertion?

I just read it in this tread...

I generally stay out of things like this, for a wide variety of reasons. But, in some cases, my hands are tied, as a very common stipulation of makers willing to do custom projects for us is that i not talk about these kinds of things. OEM products are rather common to be frank. We do indeed make changes to our custom lines, and i am rather uptight about consistency and fit and finish. Most craftsmen do not want it to be known that certain things are coming from the same place (even if the products differ... whether that difference be great or small).

Pitty that I did not know of your site few years ago when I was buying Akifusa! I would prefer Kagero...

Thanks for all the input guys, this has been enlightening to say the least. I definitely wasn't looking for a laser, so it looks like my final choice will be the Kagero for my primary...I'm looking forward to it! I might follow up with a 150mm petty at some point, maybe something in a japanese handle.

Thanks for all the input guys, this has been enlightening to say the least. I definitely wasn't looking for a laser, so it looks like my final choice will be the Kagero for my primary...I'm looking forward to it! I might follow up with a 150mm petty at some point, maybe something in a japanese handle.

Awesome you will love it. One thing I forgot to mention: when I first got my SRS15, I noticed some microchipping. This could easily have been due to improper technique (it was my first real knife), but it could also have been that the initial edge was a bit brittle, which is not that uncommon with j knives. However, SRS15 is supposed to be pretty chip resistant, so like I said it is just as likely that I was using poor technique (e.g., applying a lot of pressure and torquing the blade while using a two handed rock chop to mince herbs . . . a no no). I had the knife sharpened -- this was before I learned how to do it myself -- and there has been no further microchipping. So either the new edge is stronger or my technique improved. Maybe both :) But just something to keep in mind. Sounds like you have spent a lot of time working on knife skills in general, so you may be ahead of the curve.

Which stones are recommended for sharpening SRS-15?

Brands and grits

chiffonodd, i have actually been practicing my knife skills only in preparation of my first japanese knife...i'm not trying to lose a finger! also, i was using a racket grip up until last year, and once i switched to a pinch grip it made a world of difference. however, i wasn't able to use the pinch grip on my block set chef knife which is when i purchased the pure komachi santoku. after using pinch grips, i couldn't go back to the other chef knife which is when i started shopping. i almost went with the wusthof classic, then did some research and ALMOST went with a shun premiere. after reading reviews about the shun, i realized that it was mostly a mainstream knife and could get way more knife for the money - which is when i stumbled upon this forum among others. thanks for the heads up on the microchipping though, i'll be sure to look out for that - and i hope that i won't torque the blade bc it sounds like something i'd do.

as far as sharpening, i was thinking about starting with the king combo block 1k/6k - what do you guys think?

My (somewhat limited) experience with the King suggests you'll wear out the 1K side in 6 months to year. But you'll know a lot about flattening. 6K side will last considerably longer. If you're in states I'll suggest JKI's 1-6K combo or if your pocket is deep enough go for individual stones. With individual stones you get to have the hard vs soft, S&G vs soaker, good stones vs chosera and a host of other decision points.

Back