Looking to replace 2 knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGreek

Reaction score

United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

I have 2 specific knives i'm looking for. Even though I now work in healthcare, I grew up in a restaurant cooking with my father. My father had his knives that were off limits to anyone but him. As my father's health declined, he stopped cooking. He passed away in March of this year. As i was going through his possessions, I came across a few of his knives. I was dismayed to find out that his knives were put in the dishwasher and completely mistreated. They are chipped and dull as butter knives. My dad always used a santoku style knife for prep and a large straight slicer. Indeed, my go to prep knife is a J.A. Henckels 7 inch Santoku and I use a Victorinox Straight 14" Granton slicing knife when I smoke meats. These are the 2 knives I'm interested in replacing. I like the idea of a custom knife. The only person to really see the santoku knife will be me, but I entertain and cook for friends and family at least twice a month. I would like the meat slicer to be an eye catcher since everyone is usually hanging out in the kitchen when I use it.

Are you right or left handed?

Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

I have mostly used western handles, but I'm completely open to a Japanese handle.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

For the Santoku, probably 7 to 8 inches. I don't think I need anything larger than that at home. For the slicer, I would like to be at least 12 inches. Here's a post I just did for the whats cooking thread. This is the 14 inch knife I'm considering replacing.

Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No, doesn't have to be stainless. In fact, I would rather it be something else.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

Was hoping to stay under $300-400 for each knife. Every time I say something like that, I find the perfect thing for $450, lol.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

At home, but I do a considerable amount of entertaining.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Mostly slicing and dicing prep work but occasional light meat work. I wouldn't use a santoku for breaking down bone. I was interested in something "laser-like". Sharp, fast and easy to use.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Henckels 7” Santoku, and 14 inch Victorinox meat slicer.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch grip for the santoku.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Mostly a forward push slice and sometimes a rocking tip to heel chopping motion.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Both knives are mostly for me. I can pick up another Henckel at the mall. I'm looking for something more unique. So yeah, much better aesthetics. Hammered, kanji, forge marks, wood handle. . . any or all of the above. something cool looking, especially for the slicer as more people will see me use that.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Balance is important to me. It can get tricky to balance a 14 inch slicer. I'm not afraid of some weight in the handle, just not too blade heavy for either.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Kinda looking for something laser-like for the santoku. Very sharp and hard. Easy to sharpen would be a good thing for me as I'm not that good at sharpening. I need to learn that.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Longer would be better for edge retention, but it's not a deal breaker.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

I use a synthetic cutting board.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

i have purchased some whetstones, but i'm not good with them. I usually use a sharpening steel just before I use my knives.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

I’m absolutely interested in learning, especially if i have knife that needs it.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

If i'm going to spend a lot of money on these knives, I will purchase whatever I need to maintain them.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

For nonstainless santoku's, what do you think of these?
https://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-takayuki-aoniko-blue-2-steel-santoku-knife-180mm/
https://www.**************.com/katksa18.html

For a big non-pointy slicer-knife, have you considered a ryôba-takohiki? The Toyonaga AUS-10 (stainless, by default available up to 300mm) or the Zakuri Kurouchi Blue-1 (nonstainless, by default available up to 270mm) come to mind, as does the Okada White-2 (nonstainless, available at 300mm, but no idea if a scabbard is available for it). Maybe you could contact some of them and ask about a 330mm or 360mm and a scabbard for it?

Last edited:
Thank you for the input!! Lots to look at online.

Fell in love with the Okada White #2 takobiki at 300 mm. Great look! Hefty at almost 200 grams, but that doesn't bother me much. I also really like the sakai blue 2 steel santoku. Trying to decide if I want to go up to 200mm. Scabbard would be ideal for any knife I get. I'm working a 24 hour shift right now so I'll check in again later.

Ok folks, I'm back. Crazy hours lately at work. Thank you so much for the input! After reading your suggestions and doing some thinking, I think I might like to try a Bunka shape. I like the aggressive tip for detail work. I've researched some knives below. I don't think I can go wrong with any of these, but I'm asking the experts. Let me know if you have any experience or insight on any of these. It may just boil down to personal taste. As always, I appreciate you guys and I am thankful I found this forum.

These are from chef knives to go.com. I can't get the links to work.

SHIBATA KOTETSU R-2 BUNKA 185MM ITEM #: C2849

YUSAKU BLUE #2 BUNKA 170MM ITEM #: MSA-B17B

TANAKA BLUE #2 NASHIJI BUNKA 170MM CUSTOM ITEM #: C3117

KOHETSU BLUE #2 NASHIJI BUNKA 170MM ITEM #: SAN-B170

KANEHIRO AS BUNKA 165MM ITEM #: D-510

Tom.

Last edited:
Back