MADE IN THE U.S.A

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do people hate Lamson-Sharp? I have an 8" forged chef knife. It's heavy. It's no laser. But it works great. I put what I estimate to be 15 degree edges on each side. Really I can't complain about it. It gets sharp seems to hold an edge for a long time. Easily refreshed with a ceramic rod or smooth steel. Everyone who borrows it loves it.

-AJ

I looked at http://www.lamsonsharp.com/store/p/1212-Fire-Forged-10-Wide-Chef.html and I like the way it looks. But from just 1 pic. I can't figure out if it would be to heavy, thick, ect... From that page (and other pages for knives) I know more about what the handle is made of than the blade too. I would assume the blade is just stainless, not sure which one.

I have not tried a Lemonsharp so just what I see and read is bad to me. Not sure how much they spend on the advertising but it needs help. This makes me wonder (as a consumer) what else they take rounded corners on.

I looked at this website and he seems to be a custom maker. I am looking for more of a mass production. Ty very much.

I may be wrong but they look like pre-made blanks acquired from a knife maker supply house.

You are not wrong, Dave. The "custom" thing on a knife is the handle - the san mai blanks come with bolsters and heat treated. This is not first time I have seen a maker in US do that.

Pretty pathetic for a master craftsman if you ask me.

M

I may be wrong but they look like pre-made blanks acquired from a knife maker supply house.

You are not wrong, Dave. The "custom" thing on that knife is the handle - the blanks come with bolsters and heat treated. This is not first time I have seen a maker in US do that.

M

I'm sure that we'd both agree that this is Ok as long as full disclosure is given. :)

Yeah, i was wondering how you sell an integral san mai knife for that kind of money. Thought it might have been another hobbyist driving the prices down.

Looks to me like it's both. He doesn't want to say that he buys in the blanks for the "not-made-to-order" ones, but if you put in a request for a custom knife from CPM 154(which he calls CPM 154cm), it's $200 more than the 440c chef with the same handle. It also says in his bio that he knows how to forge and heat treat. Though why there aren't pics of his forged works, I do not know.

FWIW, they don't look like forged integrals in any of the pics to me.

I'm going on record with NewWest and say it's junk. I hate to get that stuff in for sharpeningQUOTE]

Dave, can you elaborate on why you hate to sharpen them? Are you talking about New West's S35VN line or their earlier materials?

I'm going on record with NewWest and say it's junk. I hate to get that stuff in for sharpening

Dave, can you elaborate on why you hate to sharpen them? Are you talking about New West's S35VN line or their earlier materials?

I don't know what materials they used/or use so I can't comment on the steel type, sorry.

I can say that what I've seen from them was too soft and not worthy of my efforts. I just can't see putting an even decent edge on a knife that can't hold it for any length of time.

Latest posts

Back