Maple, Cherry, or Walnut for Cutting Board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to find a true hinoki board, but all I've ever found were the Shun or Konosuke ones. I thought A Frames Tokyo had something called a yanagi board, but honestly I'm set for boards for awhile now

I'd love to find a true hinoki board, but all I've ever found were the Shun or Konosuke ones. I thought A Frames Tokyo had something called a yanagi board, but honestly I'm set for boards for awhile now

Here in Scandinavia all manner of the pine family are abundant. Which exact one that gets used most in kitchens I can't say, but here is a pic of my current favorite. I got it at a thriftstore and it was from a industrial bakery. No thicker than an inch and scratches easily with a fingernail. Hence the practice of good knife skills. But there is no worry about standing liquid anymore than you would for say maple. Just wipe her down when done.
I would think any pine with a tight, straight grain and not too much tar/sap smell and you would be good to go. Just go down to your local lumber yard and by a couple of feet. A lot of people I know have made the conversion and don't look back at the more regal woods.
Cheers.

DSC03293.jpg
[/URL]

Back