Masakage Discussion - leading into the Feb Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I received a T Fujiwara with an unacceptable overgrind. KW has been good. Not JKI/Jon Broida good...but they've have been helpful and accommodating.

Seems they don't check the knives before to send them out, anyway they have been good with me also.
Sorry to hear about your tf, hope you will get soon a good one, I have 3 and they are all good knives 😁 very happy with them

Unfortunate to hear that our Canadian source for knives is struggling with QC. I've only bought one knife so far and I ordered from JKI. Nothing against Knifewear, but Jon's reputation precedes him to the point that a first time buyer like myself can order with absolute confidence.

My February Masakage purchase - 300mm Shimo sujihiki. My first sujihiki, for the...very few times I ever need to use a slicer.
Too many recent 240mm gyuto buys so I thought about getting something else this time around.
Choil is slightly eased, spine is not. The magnolia wood of the handle feels very raw - it will be receiving a few applications of oil. A couple of tiny spots of brown rust on the blade will be getting hit with a rust eraser
Pretty thick spine at heel (a function of the long length?) reducing to a medium-ish thickness spine that holds until closer to the tip
For whatever reason both this and the Yuki I purchased last year are both sharpened such that the left side bevel is much larger than the right bevel
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wRaD0E7hAMSzPIN7QJbKgzcagoOopL9Vjw/view?usp=sharing

I got a Koishi 240 for the February sale. A few things I want to share. I was able to go into their store and pick my knife, I made them take out five and it's striking how much variability there was among those five. Profiles varies wildly, there was even one sample that was flat almost 2/3 of the blade but that one seemed to be slightly thicker behind the edge than the rest and there was almost no core steel exposed. Others had the tip pretty high up (two of them) and I got something in-between. Handles were all pretty good but spine and choil were uh, let's just say that 4 of five had residual sharp (sharp and pointy) burrs hanging on the choil. I wouldn't be at all surprised if different people ordering online got substantially different experiences. I have rounded the spine and choil on mine and like it very much so far, smooth cutter with pretty decent food release. No wedging in carrots or sweet potatoes so it subs in for the Munetoshi when those get their turn on the cutting board.

Never, still waiting for an email about the availability. They have one on stock and I think it s the one I returned. Should be nice if someone ask them if the knife has a cracked blade.. 😊

a few years back i got a yuki during the february sale from the same vendor. It arrived on a timely manner but it had a patina on the core steel. Combining the 15% off and the exchange rate to USD it matched to what I would pay for a used, almost new knife in the US. So I did not return it or fuss with them. But to this day I am skeptical of buying something else from them unless I see it first. A couple of years back they would not send me a photo of the knife I bought before shipping it, maybe they do now.

Latest posts

Back