masamoto question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody know what the difference is between the KS and KK line? aside from the way it was sharpened/polished...

More expensive...? More quality control...?

More expensive...? More quality control...?

That is what I heard. Interestingly - in their UK online shop they offer Kasumi knives in white steel and Honkasumi in blue steel. No talk about KS and KK lines ...

CORRECTION: The gyuto offered in UK is indeed KS ini white steel.

Copy & paste from JCK

" KK Series- Kasumi economy grade version recommended for the Masamoto starter. Yet, every detailed quality craftsmanship was not sacrificed. The blade is made of Hitachi White high carbon cutting edge core (ShiroKo) forging welded with a soft iron. Traditional Japanese M agnolia wooden handle with water Buffalo Horn bolster."

"KS Series- HonKasumi. Hon Kasumi is one of the Sharpening style.Unlike Masamoto KK Kasumi Series, KS Hon Kasumi,
the blade is hand sharpened, polished and finished by only the skilled workers throughout the whole process. It makes sharper edge and makes blade easier to resharpen.

In Japanese language "Hon" means "Real"

The HonKasumi knives are the top of the Masamoto line produced by Masamoto's distinguished craftsmen team with special skills and long experiences."

The one I used a little bit took a nice solid patina and didn't seem to reactive.

The one I used a little bit took a nice solid patina and didn't seem to reactive.

+1

Mine was my second carbon blade. It behaves very shy I would say, just as a Misono Swedish Steel Carbon. I would say it is good also for a novice to carbon steel. My 52100 knives were more reactive, and I don't even want to talk about Shigefusa...

Usually iron cladding is more reactive than the core steel (the cladding is usually less pure and has basically no alloying elements + the cladding is usually less polished than the core steel as it is softer) so monosteel knives tend to be less reactive than san-main ones.

The double bevels are mono, the singles are san mai.

Latest posts

Back