• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Masashiro yo deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kotte

Reaction score
For your consideration,

A Masahiro yo deba:
270x65
380 g
Carbon Steel (seller claimed it was a honyaki - I’m clueless)

019D8F39-85D0-49BA-AD18-58D90A922973.jpeg

1E2A9EFD-4FFF-4A0D-8AD2-0526C536831B.jpeg

42F7FC5D-A209-459A-A74A-5C1929DD7A69.jpeg

Price 130$ (excluding shipping). Ships from Sweden. Given the current circumstances it’s best to keep things within the EU. 😔

This is an old eBay find. It is unused (came without an edge) but sold in a terrible condition. It really looked like something from another millennium (stored away in a hidden saurkraut crypt). I’ve been unable to remove the deepest stains and cleaned it from Most of the rust and pitting. They do not affect performance. Consider it a project knife, a beater, a gift knife or a back-up! I really enjoyed using it.
I’m afraid I can’t go any lower in price, but if you twist my arm gently I may come up with something to make the deal more palatable to you: I can draw the Beige Lion on the blade for you, I can throw in a wa-handle or some stone powder.

All best!
Carl

Last edited:
The fun of a yo-deba is in using it to spare fine edges of other knives. Chocolate, nuts, poly boards, guests. And if any damage still occurs, you may splendidly ignore it, or with a carbon one apply three strokes on a dry fine stone — or some cardboard.

Last edited:
Finally a knife in the EU! I’d welcome a deba at some point, but this one seems a bit large? Was looking for something around 180-200mm.

Ok, good questions and Good answers.

First, yes, there will be a cardboard saya. And it might have a Beige Lion kanji on it.

Secondly, it is surprisingly versatile. The combination of size, weight, grind and steel allows you to use pretty mild force when going through bones. I’ve used it on several different kinds of fish, but I felt that it excelled at fish of the cod family (relatively thick hard bones), and worked great on mackerel and perch. If you ever remove fish heads and want to spare other knives, this is a real Conan.
(I never tried it on crustaccea but I wouldn’t hesitate to do it.)

Thirdly, if you want a beater, why not beat with style.

haha, I'm all for using something with style, it's more that I had no clue what it would be used on!
Where I live, which is about 50Km further from the sea than my own fresh fish rule allows me to buy fish, I don't get to butcher any fish these days. I'm glad there is a place where I sometimes can get some decent fish to cook with and even do sashimi.

haha, I'm all for using something with style, it's more that I had no clue what it would be used on!
Where I live, which is about 50Km further from the sea than my own fresh fish rule allows me to buy fish, I don't get to butcher any fish these days. I'm glad there is a place where I sometimes can get some decent fish to cook with and even do sashimi.
Garlic?

Recived with thanks. It is big, as I like it.
Now I shall find how to make appears the honoyaki line (if any).

Latest posts

Back