Massdrop III: Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys. Very sorry for the delay. I didn't intend to go dark on you but a lot of things happened over here recently. Stressful times to say the least.
Also excuse my less glorious post compared to the one of @nakiriknaifuwaifu 🙈.

Let's get to the important stuff:

I had an outstanding experience with this Massdrop! Beginning by the honor of beeing asked to do it, to the work itself, to you guys really showing interest and digging in on the details. I'm always very happy to share those but most of the time I don't actively get asked to do so. It was different here and I appreciated it a lot. Not only does it show me what is interesting to you, my fellow knife nuts, it also gives me direction to know what topics to go into more detailed.

A huge thanks goes out to @alterwisser for introducing me to the organizers. And another huge thanks goes to the organizers @nakiriknaifuwaifu, @RockyBasel & @lemeneid for doing an outstanding job getting those knives to you guys and having the patience to work with me. Thanks!

Also I'd like to state how much I appreciate this community overall! I'm not very active here in this forum, yet if ever any questions pop up just tag me and I'll get active. I occasionally read through stuff silently, like posts or get pointed to threads by others that I read through, but if I don't get asked, I usually don't involve myself. The threads I read through however are always entertaining and also show the high level of knowledge within this forum.

I just want to make clear that I will answer questions if I'm asked to but otherwise tend to not get involved. I figure some folks just want to discuss some topics regarding my work without my opinion and that's fine and I'll respect that. However if any of you ever feel to discuss something openly or just want my opinion about it, just tag me and I'll get into it.

Last but not least I want to thank all of you guys who got a KKF MD knife for your trust and I wish you lots of fun with it. I hope it serves you well for a long time! 🥳🥳🥳

I've been slow to post a review regarding the 225mm I was lucky enough to get, as I wanted to have time with it before writing. I never expected to have a knife replace my 210mm TF Denka as my go-to prep knife, but as they say, "never say never!"

The 225mm edge is the perfect size for my home kitchen use. It's nimble but with enough length for all my prep needs, including prepping for a dinner party of 10 guests. Being sufficiently thin behind the edge makes wicked horizontal and vertical cuts through onions and garlic cloves! The profile and distal taper are everything I expected from the photos Mr. Kamon posted during the design and build phases. With regular use, light honing is all that is required to keep the edge as razor-sharp as when it arrived.

The balance point is at the logo -- right at the pinch grip. The bog oak handle is comfortable and is "blacker than a hundred midnights down in a cypress swamp." Mr. Kamon's care and craft amaze me each time I use this knife -- the fit and finish are top-notch, resulting in a tool to be used and enjoyed for many years to come.

My sincere thanks to all involved in coordinating and executing this project!!

After a few months of daily use in my home kitchen, it is worthy of a review.
As demcav said, only light stropping, so far, and the edge is like new, it may take a year to put it on some stones, although I am itching to do so.
After continual use I must say this steel is not very reactive at all, just a hint of patina at this point, and I have cut lots of raw and cooked protein with it.
Fit and finish is superb, weight is enjoyable to say the least.
I think my search for my ultimate kitchen knife has ended. I don't look at BST near as much as I used to.
My sincere thanks to Mr. Kamon and the crew that put this huge endeavor together.
I feel blessed.

Back