Mazaki Shirogami Hairline Gyuto 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGY_888

Reaction score
9356D34C-2001-4727-BBF8-57548F7088D4.png
Doese anyone have this mazaki gyuto too? Compare to other version from clean cut and jns ?

I will preface with the fact that I do not have this one. I have spoken to a lot of people and the consensus (though I suppose that is tough to argue) is that the newest JNS is the way to go. From what I understand, the one carried at cktg is a little older and before his learnings from Kato-San. I can't confirm that and make no promises, but I have heard that from multiple people.

For added context, I have the JNS and like it.

Realistically it's completely possible that there is more variance within different batches than between them, at least grind wise. so it's very speculative. The vendors could help but have no interest I assume...

JNS versions are quenched differently than CKTG and cleancut versions according to Maksim. I doubt that the CKTG knives were produced before Mazaki trained under Kato. I seem to remember reading that the hairlines were a bit chunkier behind the edge. I have only handled the JNS, so grain of salt and all that.

I will preface with the fact that I do not have this one. I have spoken to a lot of people and the consensus (though I suppose that is tough to argue) is that the newest JNS is the way to go. From what I understand, the one carried at cktg is a little older and before his learnings from Kato-San. I can't confirm that and make no promises, but I have heard that from multiple people.

For added context, I have the JNS and like it.

From the forum threads, and I've followed them closely, I wouldn't say that there is a clear consensus that the newest JNS would be the best. Haven't heard much about the version from the site in the photo, but I know of several very knowledgeable people who swear by the CC version. I think preference for profile (and handle, CC and K&S have octagonal, JNS only D-handle) should be the deciding factor.

JNS versions are quenched differently than CKTG and cleancut versions according to Maksim. I doubt that the CKTG knives were produced before Mazaki trained under Kato. I seem to remember reading that the hairlines were a bit chunkier behind the edge. I have only handled the JNS, so grain of salt and all that.
My cktg ku is a baller. My aframes Ktip was not

3062CE1A-3B66-4125-9415-1CAB3650B424.jpeg

K&S version. Shouldn’t even be a discussion. Knife, handle and saya. Best Mazaki deal bar none. Incredible deal in today’s knife world. If fact, going back 10 years, this maybe the best money I’ve spent on knife.

K&S version. Shouldn’t even be a discussion. Knife, handle and saya. Best Mazaki deal bar none. Incredible deal in today’s knife world. If fact, going back 10 years, this maybe the best money I’ve spent on knife.

That is a pretty package.

I've handled several and my recently sold CKTG version (purchased before Mazaki was revealed to be the Smith for this line) was by far the thinnest overall and plenty thin at the edge.

I've handled several and my recently sold CKTG version (purchased before Mazaki was revealed to be the Smith for this line) was by far the thinnest overall and plenty thin at the edge.

Which further strengthens my theory that it comes down more to the individual knife than differences between lines sold by different vendors.

Back