Me, my stuff, and I

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Third picture, all Japanese knives, 4th one from the right with the Western handle is the first Kato Workhorse I bought. I landed 2 more afterwards but sold them shortly thereafter. This one is of thicker stock and is one of the knives I use to measure all others performance-wise. The 2 others I had were thinner by comparison and just didn't come close to this one.They were awesome knives, don't get me wrong, just didn't need the other 2 when compared to this one...

You seem to be missing a 240/270 Ealy in that collection. I think that needs remedying 😉

Think you're right. Funny you should point this out as it certainly hasn't gone missed here. Definitely an incomplete family photo w/o something of his in the mix. I had a brilliant 240 Damascus western handle from Del, and I do sort of miss it. Think I need to go old school and get one of his carbon wa gyutos again. I also miss that one as well.

I keep contemplating sending mine back to him for some rework (i think mine is a tad too thick behind the edge) but then i use it and decide i can't part with it, even for a month or so. His wa handles and weight distribution is just perfect.

For those unaware, there is a very special gyuto among this collection. One that I have had for almost 3 years. Some may recall, but just wanted to bring this back up for others who may not have been around the forum at this time.

I won The Tuxedo Gyuto during a very Generous giveaway orchestrated by Randy Haas of HHH and ejd53. They announced the winner the same day my daughter (read first kid) was born. Pretty amazing day for me all around, was made a little more amazing.
I don't use this knife too terribly much, which requires a LOT of restraint on my behalf, as I believe it needs to be around when my daughter gets to be old enough to use it. I'm hoping she will enjoy cooking, I'm hoping even more that she wont be doing it for a career...

But you can see the link here:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...E-YOU-WANT-TO-BE-IN-THIS-ONE?highlight=tuxedo

Marc, great collection, thanks for sharing!
Care to list what's in each picture? You must need that for insurance purposes anyway, right?
Perhaps I will save these pictures as a reference to support my point that I don't own THAT many knives--my collection is quite modest, compared to yours. (Until someone points out that you're a professional chef, and I'm a home cook . . . )

Begining_zps34c16cfb.jpg

Left to right:

Global Clever
Global nakiri
Lamson cherry wood boning
Russell scimitar
Wusthof 9" classic issued by my culinary school
Henckles 4 star 10"
Henckles 5 start 8"
Henckles 5 star paring
Shun filet
Shun 9" suji
Forschner boning
Forschner chef's
Wusthof Ikon tomato knife
Forschner filet

Japanese_zps98qjpupb.jpg

Tanaka Ginsan 240 prototype
Tanaka Ginsan 240
Kochi stainless clad 240
Kochi Migaki 240
Masashi Kobo SLD Damascus 240
Syousin Sakura 240
Shigehiro 240
Konosuke Ginsan 270 Haburn handle
Fujiwara FKM 270 suji
Hiromoto AS 240
Kato Workhorse
Kurosaki AS 240 Haburn handle
Kurosaki AS 270 suji Haburn handle
Shun Fuji 240 suji

Kramers and such_zpsttnsv7of.jpg

Shun Fuji honesuki
Kurosaki R2 western
ZKramer slicer 52100
ZKramer 10" 52100
ZKramer Meiji 10"
ZKramer Essential 10"
Shun Kramer Meiji bread knife
ZKRAMER Euro Damascus paring

Western_zpsqmezptvs.jpg

HHH 270 "Tuxedo" with pre-prohibition ivory
Cut Brooklyn 52100 Prospect
Devin Thomas ITK AEB-L 240 2013 run
Haburn 240 52100 ringed gidgee
Harner 260 bog oak and silver dyed maple Burl, copper mokume
Martell CPM-154 240 dyed maple
Haburn 240 ware resistant tool steel buckeye Burl
Andy Billipp 10" maple
Mert Tansu 52100 230mm ringed gidgee
Cris Anderson Scorpion Forge 250 XTXHXTronwood, copper mokume
Robin Dalman 230 AEB-L passaround cocobolo
Robin Dalman 230 birch Burl
Carter 240 CKTG anniversary gyuto, corian, ironwood
Mario Ignolia 250 CPM-154 figured walnut
Bloodroot Halibut filet 9" green Joe's mountain coffee bag
Harner 210 O-1 pretty curly mango
Marko Tsourkan 240 Devin Thomas mystery carbon brass, cocobolo
Marko Tsourkan 250 John Thomas ladder Damascus koa, brass

Martell's work is right up there as well. Great all around cutter that was almost with the wait. Just beware of the potential "extra baggage" it may come with. Of all the knife makers I've had dealings with, he was most certainly the most difficult to work with. Hopefully that'll get sorted out sometime.

I'd just like to note that I never worked with Marc at all on the knife shown above. He purchased this 2nd quality knife from an online sale.

The comments of "extra baggage" and referring to me as "most certainly the most difficult to work with (knife maker)" has no merit being attached to this knife as we never worked out any details on this knife at all pre-sale. However, post-sale, I denied a return because the knife was sold expressly as a 2nd quality, priced at a discount, with the term of being sold "as is", and then the knife had been used in a professional environment for days. If denying this return is being difficult to work with then I am guilty as charged, but again, we never worked together on this knife and I wish to make that perfectly clear.

Wow...kind of like a KKF encyclopedia...:-o

I'd just like to note that I never worked with Marc at all on the knife shown above. He purchased this 2nd quality knife from an online sale.

The comments of "extra baggage" and referring to me as "most certainly the most difficult to work with (knife maker)" has no merit being attached to this knife as we never worked out any details on this knife at all pre-sale. However, post-sale, I denied a return because the knife was sold expressly as a 2nd quality, priced at a discount, with the term of being sold "as is", and then the knife had been used in a professional environment for days. If denying this return is being difficult to work with then I am guilty as charged, but again, we never worked together on this knife and I wish to make that perfectly clear.

Dave, I wasn't referring to the excellent knife that I purchased from you "as is", that I also never attempted to return. I'm referring to the other one. That plus the unpleasant exchange post our last transaction.
Not trying to raise a burr here, but if you wish to discuss more could we please move it to PM?
In the meantime I'll continue to stand by my statement, especially the part about it being an excellent all around cutter.

Marc, I'm not trying to steal your thunder as your collection of knives continually impresses as knife nuts. Period. You've guided me like Obey-wan.

The only collection I have personally seen/cut with/sharpened that could be a complement to yours is Wildboar's. Understand he's a modest guy (prob not happy about me posting this) but he's an KKF OG. Upon seeing his knife blocks, the only words I could utter was this too... Perhaps Dave will take a few shots of his build out, even if in another post?

That Mario doesn't seem to fit in with the rest😀 You should ditch it.

I've received quite a few offers on that Mario, some over twice what I paid for it. It's a new year, I'm wondering if I should release back into the wild...

Me me me!!! I think I've pestered you many a times already

Dennis, if you think my collection approaches Marc's, it's because Marc left half of his stuff at home instead of bringing it to the ECG :) He also has acquired a few more since then. I was able to see a couple newer ones last week and earlier today -- Marc definitely has en eye for picking out great knives!

Dennis, if you think my collection approaches Marc's, it's because Marc left half of his stuff at home instead of bringing it to the ECG :) He also has acquired a few more since then. I was able to see a couple newer ones last week and earlier today -- Marc definitely has en eye for picking out great knives!

Word. He's a freaking crazyman, but let others decide. You've got knives that nobody has. It's been a while but that Devin damy petty. You also the only person that I know that has a Marenko damy integral. Let's see them.

Thanks Dave. And I'll agree with Dennis, you have a seriously choice collection going on over there.

Regarding the Mario comment I made earlier (that sent my email and inbox into a whirlwind), I didn't mean to get everyone so excited. Sorry about that. Not really planning on letting it go at the moment. Can my mind be changed? Sure. Everything has a price tag. That said, I did promise a certain gentleman first right of refusal should I ever decide to sell. It would be up to him whether he wants to match an offer or not.

Yea, Mario was the first custom knife maker that caught my eye. If he ever starts up again I have saved my PM from 2/23/14 reserving my spot:D.

Chuckles, I thought Marc was referring to you as the man who had first dibs!

Regardless add me to one of the interested parties:biggrin:

Which one is mine :paypal:

On a more serious note. In the recent "top three custom makers" thread I listed Billipp, your pictures just confirm that choice.

Left and middle are maple burl, right is ironwood burl. The right is not my knife, just on loan. I wish it was though. The middle one I just got recently. Bought it the weekend before I met with our accountant to discover we owed a crap ton on taxes. In spite of that, the Billipps stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back