Miyabi vs ZK Essential vs ZK Meiji chef's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anfield1892

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time lurker here. Since a long time I really want to get a good universal chef's knife (or gyuto). A friend of mine is manager of big restaurant and I've got a possibility to buy a Zwilling knife with big discount.
The options are:

• MIYABI 6000MCT - around 130 eu discounted.
  • Zwilling Kramer euro essential - around 160 eu.
  • Zwilling Kramer Meiji - around 240 eu.

And don't have any experience with those brand and I'm ordering trough a catalog (so can't handle them IRL). Will really appreciate your opinions and advises.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. a questionably

[EU]

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto - chef's knife
Are you right or left handed?
Right handed
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Both are fine
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
200-220mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Kind of
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
200-300 euro

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
At home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
As general chef's knife
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Ikea knives
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
mainly push-cut, some rocking for spices
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
definitely a bonus
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
good chip resistance
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
stainless or semi-stainless
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
doesn't matter, but more is better

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
bamboo
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Have some, will get better stones in the future

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I own all three, a Miyabi 6000 MCT 8", a ZK Meiji 8" and a ZK Essential 10" (and I used to have a ZK Essential 8" before I replaced it with the Meiji). From your questionnaire answers I would probably recommend one of the ZKs that you listed. The Miyabi has a handle that is not really that great for pinch grip, whereas either of the Kramers are more suitable for a pinch grip. Also since you primarily push-cut, while the Miyabi is not quite as bellied as a Shun classic chef knife (i.e. German shaped), it has a gradual curve/belly and no real flat spot, whereas the Kramer has a quite usable flat spot even though it has that curved, raised tip. Separately the Kramer Essential and Meiji use a FC61 (which is very likely AEB-L), which has good chip resistance, and the Kramers have better geometry (thinner + distal taper).

Let me know what else you are wanting to know about these knives.

For what it is worth, I have the essential and like it. I bought the Meji and returned it because the handle had a ridge that I found incredibly uncomfortable

none is really my choice but if these are the brands id take the miyabi. i have sharpened and used all three if that really validates anything.

You realize the Zwilling Kramer is made by the same maker as Miyabi right?

Nothing against any of these...in fact the only one I've tried was a Kramer in carbon and I enjoyed it much more than I would've imagined. My only thought being that if you have a budget in mind and kind of know what you want, why limit it to something on special? For the money you're willing to spend you'd have a ton of really nice options and may find more value in not paying for the name brand. Other than that I know very little about stainless knives but wish you the best in finding something you really like.

Cheers

I have the 8” Essential and like it a lot. The handle feels very nice and I enjoy the geometry. The AEB-L sharpens incredibly easy and takes a great edge.

I own all three, a Miyabi 6000 MCT 8", a ZK Meiji 8" and a ZK Essential 10" (and I used to have a ZK Essential 8" before I replaced it with the Meiji). From your questionnaire answers I would probably recommend one of the ZKs that you listed. The Miyabi has a handle that is not really that great for pinch grip, whereas either of the Kramers are more suitable for a pinch grip. Also since you primarily push-cut, while the Miyabi is not quite as bellied as a Shun classic chef knife (i.e. German shaped), it has a gradual curve/belly and no real flat spot, whereas the Kramer has a quite usable flat spot even though it has that curved, raised tip. Separately the Kramer Essential and Meiji use a FC61 (which is very likely AEB-L), which has good chip resistance, and the Kramers have better geometry (thinner + distal taper).

Let me know what else you are wanting to know about these knives.

Thanks for your answer. Really helpful. It looks that the Miyabi is out, I'm definitely looking for a flatter French shaped knife. I've tried Shun gyotos and didn't like their shape for that particular reason.
Can you please tell me if the FC61 steel is suitable for a noob sharpener like me. I'm sharpening my knives, but since they're softer that's easy job. And there's no risk of chipping.

You realize the Zwilling Kramer is made by the same maker as Miyabi right?

Yes, indeed.

Nothing against any of these...in fact the only one I've tried was a Kramer in carbon and I enjoyed it much more than I would've imagined. My only thought being that if you have a budget in mind and kind of know what you want, why limit it to something on special? For the money you're willing to spend you'd have a ton of really nice options and may find more value in not paying for the name brand. Other than that I know very little about stainless knives but wish you the best in finding something you really like.

Cheers

I'm not limited to those knives. I've just selected the 3 knives I liked most (within my budget) from the Zwilling catalog. And since I've discount... Maybe I should really the other options. Can you please give me some recommendations from other manufacturers.

From all the steels I've sharpened, I found the FC61 (AEB-L) the easiest to sharpen. In this regard, these knives are the right choice. How do you sharpen?

From all the steels I've sharpened, I found the FC61 (AEB-L) the easiest to sharpen. In this regard, these knives are the right choice. How do you sharpen?

I see :) I'm not very experienced, but properly - by hand, using stones. I've 600 and 2000 stones and I'm planing to buy a finer one (6000).

Cheers

To be the devils advocate here, the kramers are pretty special knives, there has to be some reason people go crazy for them, with the meiji you get the added bonus of pretty much the best fit and finish you can get in that priceline. I know they are stainless and a big manufacturor knife, but i'm not sure how many other stainless japanese knives can be found in europe for under 300.

Well I'm not going to say the frenzy around real Kramer knives is a great reason, but I agree the ZK's are solid, well made knives with excellent F&F. At the prices you list, they are below the US list prices (not even counting sales tax yet), so I imagine what European pricing normally is and VAT, it's going to be good value for the money.

As for the Meiji handle, FYI the ridge doesn't bother me, and actually I like that it feels more secure in my hand. I don't use a tight grip though. The Meiji is lighter and more nimble than the Euro.

Back