MORITAKA ISHIME KIRITSUKE 210MM

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentjharris

Reaction score
I was looking at purchasing this knife. Does anyone have any exposure or opinion on this knife? I'm looking for something that's versatile enough that I can use it for most things day-to-day.

moritaka-kiritsuke-210mm-2_300x.jpg

Welcome! One thing about this specific knife is that the cutting edge profile is very flat without much curve and a very low tip. So if your typical cutting motion is with the tip on the cutting board and the handle up where you rock the blade down then this knife won't be very good for that. The low tip can also be problematic for some people as they are more likely to dig the tip into the board if they're used to higher tips like on western chef knives.

Hello! Just curious, are you looking specifically for kiritsukes or are you open to gyutos?
Let me preface this by saying I'm not saying this with any amount of authority o the subject (hence why I'm here) but, to me, it feels like the kiritsuke would be a bit more versatile than the gyuto. I'd love to be educated on that assumption though.

Welcome! One thing about this specific knife is that the cutting edge profile is very flat without much curve and a very low tip. So if your typical cutting motion is with the tip on the cutting board and the handle up where you rock the blade down then this knife won't be very good for that. The low tip can also be problematic for some people as they are more likely to dig the tip into the board if they're used to higher tips like on western chef knives.
I wouldn't say I'm particularly aggressive on the tip. I tend to work pretty gingerly with my knives but again am by no means a pro. I'm upgrading from a Shun Ken Onion Chefs Knife.

Just beware of the prices on Knifewear is all I can say. Look on Paul’s Finest for the Mori Deluxe - same steel about same finish same grind you’ll basically get the very same blade less expensive. I’ll bet from experience shopping you may even get the Supreme for the price - Aogami Super.

Moritaka’s Gyutos also have quite a flat profile - if that what was got to you with a Kiri.

Paul may not have them stock anymore - the Kiristuke - but he still has the Supreme Gyutos for about 80-100$ less.
The Kiri supreme was the same price.

Also just beware of the switch you’re making there. I’ll bet the Kiri will be quite thicker than your actual knife, especially at the tip. You may discover you’ve attached yourself to a Guyto’s tip work more than you thought.

For 315$ you may get a finer Gyuto than the Moritakas if you search well. Have nothing to say against my Moritaka - once accustomed to such a thick grind -but I have other options in the drawer when I need a thinner blade. I would perhaps not be so happy about it if it was my main knife.

Just beware of the prices on Knifewear is all I can say. Look on Paul’s Finest for the Mori Deluxe - same steel about same finish same grind you’ll basically get the very same blade less expensive. I’ll bet from experience shopping you may even get the Supreme for the price - Aogami Super.

Moritaka’s Gyutos also have quite a flat profile - if that what was got to you with a Kiri.

Paul may not have them stock anymore - the Kiristuke - but he still has the Supreme Gyutos for about 80-100$ less.
The Kiri supreme was the same price.

Also just beware of the switch you’re making there. I’ll bet the Kiri will be quite thicker than your actual knife, especially at the tip. You may discover you’ve attached yourself to a Guyto’s tip work more than you thought.

For 315$ you may get a finer Gyuto than the Moritakas if you search well. Have nothing to say against my Moritaka - once accustomed to such a thick grind -but I have other options in the drawer when I need a thinner blade. I would perhaps not be so happy about it if it was my main knife.
All great advice thanks. And you're right the prices seem to be considerably lower. Thanks.

Try Sharp Knife Shop also... more expensive knives mostly but at 300$ you have a fairly wide range of stuff to compare. Gage is amazing if you need help just chat or send an email he’ll answer fast. Paul also.

Nothing particularly wrong with them, fit and finish has been a problem with most I've used and they generally need a decent amount of thinning. The knife itself is good if you work on it a bit.
Aframes has mazaki K-tips for a good price right now if you're jut looking for a good k-tip.
The profile is a lot different than a ken onion so it'll be more suited for slicing or push cutting which is why I use mine so much. Good knives if thats the kind of cutting you're in to.

Nothing particularly wrong with them, fit and finish has been a problem with most I've used and they generally need a decent amount of thinning. The knife itself is good if you work on it a bit.
Aframes has mazaki K-tips for a good price right now if you're jut looking for a good k-tip.
The profile is a lot different than a ken onion so it'll be more suited for slicing or push cutting which is why I use mine so much. Good knives if thats the kind of cutting you're in to.

Speaking of thinning it, I’m inclined right now to ask you if you thinned down the kurouchi line as I am very tempted to do in the next days?

Thanks so much everyone for all your help. After reading all the comments I did in fact get in touch with Gage at Sharp Knife Shop. He was excellent and the fact that he is geographically really close didn't hurt. After quite a few back and forth emails I went in a completely different direction and settled on a Tanaka 165mm Santoku with a very nice custom handle. I'm excited to get it in the mail.

Thanks again.

Back