Moving to Australia soon, wondering about bringing kitchen knives and a chopping board with me on the plane in my check-in luggage.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to be moving to Australia from the US soon, most of my stuff will be shipped via a moving company, which means I'll be waiting for a few months for that to arrive. I'm hoping to bring my valuables with me on the plane in my check-in luggage, and that includes 8 kitchen knives and a chopping board. I'll be entering on a work visa, does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing, I know Australia can be pretty strict with what they allow in the country. Will I be able to bring them in, do I have to declare them, and if so, will I have to pay tax on them if I'll be entering on a work visa? Any information is greatly appreciated!

Edit: also hoping to bring some of my JNats in the check-in luggage too.

Last edited:
This post is very old but partially answers your question. You might want to pose the GST question to customs via email.

You'll be fine with your knives, no problem. See this post about my experience.

I've travelled numerous times with knives in my suitcase, both domestic and overseas. Never had an issue.

To add to this, anyone have any experience bringing JNats and fingerstones into Australia? Probably gonna put mine in my check in as well.

Last edited:
To add to this, anyone have any experience bringing JNats and fingerstones into Australia? Probably gonna put mine in my check in as well.
They are rocks. Customs and quarantine won't be interested in that.

You will need both to defend yourself from the local fauna.

Edit, said fauna:
1691796356779.jpeg

I relocated from the USA to Germany 2 years ago. I packed my prized knife collection ( about 9 blades in their orginal boxes) in the checked luggage. No problems whatsoever. I almost invested in a 700 year old Japanese sword knowing I would have travel with that in a custom case. In the end that was one worry too much.

They are rocks. Customs and quarantine won't be interested in that.

Apparently you're meant to declare natural stones on entry to Aus. You're fine to bring 'em in, but you have to specify them on that little quarantine/customs declaration form. I once got my bags x-rayed on entry and they told me off for it.

Apparently you're meant to declare natural stones on entry to Aus. You're fine to bring 'em in, but you have to specify them on that little quarantine/customs declaration form. I once got my bags x-rayed on entry and they told me off for it.
Not surprising given how big biosecurity is in Australia (and NZ). Guessing they just want to check any "rock" for soil or anything else biological on it.

Back