WTS MSicard Cutlery 225mm 3v Gyuto (Heavy Taper)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSicardCutlery

Full-time Knifemaker-Canadian Mazaki
KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hello All,

As part of a recent steel order I picked up a couple of steels I've been reading about for a long time but never used, one of which was CPM-3V. This steel is absolutely legendary for its toughness and it's very rarely seen in kitchen knives despite having edge retention in a similar range to MagnaCut/154CM/D2 and CruWear. I must say this stuff is a bit tough to grind and feels a lot more like CruWear on the grinder than MagnaCut or CPM-D2, and really ate belts quickly. As pleased as I am to have finally worked with this steel I don't think I'll do it again of my own volition.

The handle is solid micarta, the body being made from black paper micarta and the ferrule from natural canvas micarta. This combination is a pretty close facimille to the more traditional ebony and blonde horn combinations that are seen on Japanese knives.

The taper on this blade is quite substantial and the tip is roughly half the thickness I usually grind tips to. It should slide effortlessly through onions.

20231214_202527.jpg

20231211_124933.jpg

20231214_202539.jpg

20231211_124922.jpg

Blade: 226mmx51mm CPM-3V (~63 hrc) belt finish
Neck: 18mmx22mm
Handle: Black paper and natural canvas micarta oiled and waxed
POB: 13mm from the handle
Spine: 3.39mm at the handle, 2.12mm at halfway, .31mm 1cm from the tip
Grind: flat to convex 50/50
Weight: 186g
Relieved choil and spine
Edge: .21mm@1mm, .30mm@2mm, .45mm@5mm, .68mm@10mm from the edge, measured at the midpoint,

Asking $470 U.S + $25 shipping. As always, if this blade is purchased in conjunction with another I will happily deduct $25 off of the price of the other blade.

Thanks for looking!

Ideally it should be sharpened on diamond stones, but with a lower MC carbide volume than MagnaCut (5% in 3V vs 8% in MC) it could probably be more effectively sharpened on conventional stones than MagnaCut, which tends to pose some issues.

Ideally it should be sharpened on diamond stones, but with a lower MC carbide volume than MagnaCut (5% in 3V vs 8% in MC) it could probably be more effectively sharpened on conventional stones than MagnaCut, which tends to pose some issues.
About 3-4k grit is about where diminishing returns on results are for that steel. Before diamonds I'd sharpen with Glass 500 and 4k.

Back