• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD MSicardCutlery x JLA - Gyuto mizu honyaki, 26c3, 255mm, 64hrc

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KasumiJLA

Custom wa handle & honyaki polishing
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
The third honyaki knife from the collaboration between me and Matt Sicard for is now available!

The blade
We had requests to make a longer knife and the message was heard! This time it's a 255mm gyuto with 26c3 steel. It's also a more special blade because Matt started water quenching (mizu) his honyaki blades. It's obviously much more complex to achieve and there was a lot of trial and error (broken blades) before he could control this technique. But that doesn't matter, the result is magnificent and the hamon is super well defined with astonishing symmetry on both sides. I have to raise my hat to Matt for this awesome achievement!

The visual
For my part, I really had fun polishing this knife. Firstly because the hamon (nioi-guchi) is bright (akarui)and I love the tōran shape made by Matt on this blade. There are also in a few places some ashi which seems to want to take the shape of the nioi-guchi to create a double hamon. One of the benefits of using 26c3 is that I was able to bring out the detail in the steel. So I chose to make the pearlite completely mirror and the martensite slightly milky, while remaining mirror and bringing out the banding. I think that visually everything is well balanced and that it complements Matt's work really well and I'm very happy how this polish turns out!

The handle
Since the visual of the blade is already awesome by it's own, I wanted to create something more sober but without going for something bland. I have some very beautiful Indonesian rosewood and it is this species that I chose. For the cap I selected copper to bring out the raspberry color nuances in this wood. I simply love this combination and it's one of my favorite handles I've made to date! I also textured the top of the copper for a unique/artistic touch and polished the sides to make a nice contrast with the darker wood. The grip and the feeling are really pleasant and the balance point is exactly 28mm after the heel. A slight forward balance as I like.

The backstory
Matt and I decided to collaborate together to offer very unique knives with an attention to detail and finish. Being both Canadian and passionate about Honyaki blades, this collaboration highlights all of Matt's his in-depth knowledge of steel and blacksmithing. It was only a matter of time before we could join our shared passions together.

Every week we talk about future projects (some are crazy) that we would like to accomplish together. That's the very essence of our collaboration: pushing our limits, learn to become better and improve in our fields of expertise. We're already like an old couple and Matt is the grumpy one. He will say the opposite, but it's not true.

Specs
Maker - MSicardCutlery
Shape - Gyuto
Steel - 26c3
Construction - Mizu honyaki, water quenched
Hrc - ~64
Cutting edge - At the buyer's request

Visual aspect
Polisher - Julien Labelle Affûteur (KasumiJLA)
Hamon shape - Midare/Tôran | Akarui nioiguchi (bright hamon)
Polishing - Full mirror pearlite & banding/whitish martensite
Etching - FeCl3, uchigumori powder nugui

Dimensions & weight
Cutting edge lenght - 257mm
Total blade length -269mm
Total knife length with handle - 400mm
Height - Heel 51,3 | Mid 44,4 | Last inch before tip 23,8
Spine thickness - Heel 2,7mm | Mid 2,4mm | Tip 0,3mm
Blade weight - 120g
Total weight with handle - 176g
Balancing point - 2,5cm after the heel

Handle
Maker - Julien Labelle Affûteur (KasumiJLA)
Material - Indonesian rosewood and textured copper cap
Shape - Octogonal
Lenght - 132mm
Weight - 56g
Finition - 1000 grit and buffed, linseed oil
Installation - Hot glue, easily removable

Buying and shipping
Price - 1050$CAD | ~775$USD
Canada - Shipping is free, knife 100% insured. Tracking number provided.
USA - Shipping is free, buyer pay only the insurance. Tracking number provided.
Europe - First 20$cad is covered, buyer pay the insurance. Tracking number provided.

Thank you for your interest and for contributing to the development of two enthusiasts like us 🖤

DAFA111E-EF73-4C2F-9CCE-710DA0B3143A.jpeg0F5A8BB1-6116-42B9-8788-0126564A09EA.jpeg
C6D47D08-E50C-4A8C-B2CB-E327CF8192CF.jpeg6C3BAEEA-9A7B-41A8-ADC7-30654FB7BCAF.jpeg
52642997-AC9C-4561-A5AC-4915B933923F.jpegBEE50251-8141-47E5-B9CD-591A0B799781.jpeg
0A5DAF44-85A4-4592-9B51-1D41A22CE0AA.jpegE7D21FEE-D033-49F8-AB1B-2F397406A4B4.jpeg
A5FB7F9E-A926-49CB-9D4F-34EC3D8E8CA7.jpeg5F502FAF-EF84-4B28-A564-5CA266E2E6F8.jpeg

It really is! And it should make it that much more fun for the new owner.

Back